Drilling 10 gallon bottom

PufferMan

Has anyone drilled the bottom of a 10 gallon tank and been successful over time with no leaks or cracks? I have drilled the sides befor with no problems, but I'm thinking about drilling the bottom for a frag tank. I know the glass in 10 gallons are super thin anyways, and I'm a little concerned about the pressure of the water on it over time. Anyone have any experience with it, good or bad?

WeePee

a 10 gal shouldn't have tempered glass, but that would be your #1 problem if it is.otherwise you really should be fine. Ive actually been thinking about drilling the bottom of one of my 10 gal WC tanks just so it can fully drain it for a water change.

PufferMan

Well, I'll let you know how it goes. I drilled it last night. That glass is super thin, so I siliconed around the bulkhead when I put it in, hoping that would at least cushion between the bulkhead and the glass incase of some pressure or flexing over time. We'll see how it goes, hopefully no leaks over time!

SkullV

Well, I'll let you know how it goes. I drilled it last night. That glass is super thin, so I siliconed around the bulkhead when I put it in, hoping that would at least cushion between the bulkhead and the glass incase of some pressure or flexing over time. We'll see how it goes, hopefully no leaks over time!
Silicone sealant on bulkheads will CAUSE leaks. If you want to use something for assembly use 100% silicone lubricant.

FishBeard

Silicone sealant on bulkheads will CAUSE leaks. If you want to use something for assembly use 100% silicone lubricant.
Glass-holes.com sells this as "Magic Lube". I have a nearly full tube of the stuff from the overflow & return kits I bought from them when I drilled the 40b tank for the bro-in-law. The tube probably has enough for 30+ installs...

SkullV

Glass-holes.com sells this as "Magic Lube". I have a nearly full tube of the stuff from the overflow & return kits I bought from them when I drilled the 40b tank for the bro-in-law. The tube probably has enough for 30+ installs...
Yep, a little goes a looooooooong way.

thebreit1

The 2012 Annual Coral & Reef USA magazine had part of an article on how to do this. They basically were saying to use duct tape under the drill site to catch the drilled piece and bits, place a rope of plumber's putty around the drill site (but larger than the hole), add water inside the putty and drill. When you drill, they say to start on an angle and as the bit bites, slowly bring it flush. Like was stated earlier, don't do this on tempered glass.

PufferMan

Well, the test definitely failed. I set the tank up over a large rubbermaid container and filed it with water just to let it sit and do a stress test. Sure enough, it only took one day for a big ole crack to shoot right across the bottom of the tank.

So, from my experience, the moral of the story is, drilling the sides of a 10 gallon near the top is ok as long as you are careful while drilling, but drilling the bottom of a 10 gallon is not a good idea.