Dry Rock

chriz2

I recently purchased some dry rock , and the rock has been out of water for over 2 years. I plan on using some of the rock in my future build. What would be the process in preparing rock with out having enormous spikes. or better yet can I leave them in a large Rubbermaid tub and add some live rock to the mix. Also if combining dry rock and live rock how long till seeded?
Thanks

jeffy

Throw some water in the Rubbermaids. Have a pump in there for water flow along with a light. Let nature take its course. I should stop spiking by he first month. Or At least that was my luck... Oh don't be afraid of putting in some live Bactria! Aka Dr tims..

jrpark22000

Premium member
+1 to Jeffy. In addition to the pump you can toss in some loose GAC and GFO to absorb the nutrients given off by the rock. You can also cook the rock with acid removing the outer layer of rock and organics.

imranh

This process is known as curing dry rock and here's a great video from BRS on their take: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/index.php/video/index/view/id/81

What Jeffy said would work great as well.

Enjoy!
I recently purchased some dry rock , and the rock has been out of water for over 2 years. I plan on using some of the rock in my future build. What would be the process in preparing rock with out having enormous spikes. or better yet can I leave them in a large Rubbermaid tub and add some live rock to the mix. Also if combining dry rock and live rock how long till seeded?
Thanks