DYI stand for frameless 93 gallon cube - questions

bulldog0407

Premium member
Was wondering if anyone had expirecence with building stand for a frameless tank (no bracing top or bottom). I am see huge contradicting information on them. The manufacturer, marineland, states that the tank should not have a foam pad between the glass and the stand. They also recommend the stand to be open no center support. I find it hard to believe that the 93 gallon tank being 900+ lbs when running can be supported on an open stand. Any thoughs, pictures or plans would be helpful. I want to build my stand soon but cannot find any supporting detail. I just don't want to create pressure on the bottom and have the tank crack. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

anarchy

I put 1" foam under mine and the top of my stand is solid. I do know other guys that used no foam and a solid top stand. Here's how I look at it. If you want to make sure your stand is 100% flat on top with no variation then sure you could get away with not using the foam. I used cheaper plywood when I built my stand and I don't trust the straightness of the wood I used so I opted to use foam to make sure any imperfections wouldn't cause the tank to crack. Not sure if I answered your question or not lol so if there's any questions let me know

ANARCHY

bulldog0407

Premium member
I put 1" foam under mine and the top of my stand is solid. I do know other guys that used no foam and a solid top stand. Here's how I look at it. If you want to make sure your stand is 100% flat on top with no variation then sure you could get away with not using the foam. I used cheaper plywood when I built my stand and I don't trust the straightness of the wood I used so I opted to use foam to make sure any imperfections wouldn't cause the tank to crack. Not sure if I answered your question or not lol so if there's any questions let me know

ANARCHY
Thanks Anarchy, as for the question in design,yes thsnk you. I was looking for what people have done as I want a solid top but I was unsure if that would cause any damage.

I have build at least 6 stands in the past but never a rimless one so it makes me a little Leary. I also can't see spending 300 on a manufactured one when I can do it to. Now I guess I wonder why marineland does not suggest the foam. I think they are only ones who do not for their rimless tanks. Anyone know why? I read something about frameless tanks and floating bottoms. Not sure what it meant but that was a suggest reason. Any thoughts are appreciated .

bulldog0407

Premium member
Decided to just go with the marineland stand. They had it in oak in the color of my other furniture. In the long run it'll match my furniture better and it's less work.

liven learn

I almost built one for my timeless 93 also. I hate the height of the marieland monteray stand and width. Makes me want a custom sump. I love the idea of a 40 breeder under the 93. I think marineland needs to offer that option for this tank. That's the one thing that has frustrated me with this tank the most. That and whenever I use my mag float Water spills over