"Easier" SPS? High light LPS?

AForys

Ok, I got a LPS/Softie tank. I want to try out a lower demanding SPS(preferably a stick rather then a cap), if there is any? It would be about 10in from water surface and good moderate flow in that area. Any suggestions? Also some higher light required LPS if anyone knows any?

xj_matt

Premium member
Motipora digi seem to been fairly easy and high light, we'll in my tank. That was the first pice I got and have had it for a year now

tinman

birdsnest is a good one to start out with for sps. I keep my leptos in high light and they are LPS
Leptos are actually lower light lps :) they would take high light but are more vibrant and grow better in medium to lower light conditions :)

the LPS that come to my mind as high light are some of the Favias .. like the UC Fascination Favia and other brightly colored Favias and Gold torches ..

thing is if it has metallic luster to the color ( like jason Fox day glow favia ) then i think it takes lower light ..if its just couple colors blended together then you can go high light on them .. same with the polyps too .. the ones that have more intricate pattern and metallic luster takes lower light where as the ones that are hard plain colors like candy apple reds and sunny ds take higher light..

Rcunning8

Premium member
Dang my car's don't seem to appreciate high light but my sunny ds sure do! I have to say my tangerine lepto has awesome color and grows like a weed up high but I cannot say the same for my jf jacko. I think the colors on the jacko aren't the besr, they are good but could be better and the growth is shall we say meh. I'm gonna pop off a piece of it and grow it in lower light and see what we get!! Challenge accepted tin!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AForys

great thanks! I think I will try a few birds nest frags and see how that goes. thanks for all the input!

ReeferRick

I would say if your tank is stable in all the parameters, any will do just fine(phosphates,nitrates, etc...)
Salinity, ph, alk are big ones to watch with sps.
Keep those in check ,with a nice light and flow in the tank, all will do just fine.

Maricultured corals are harder to keep, I would suggest any cheaper Sps stick thats been aquacultured and itll be just fine if your tank is stable .

Mjl714

Check out Coral Magazines September/October 2015 issue, and the article "Bulletproof Small Polyp Stoney Corals," great information.

Paulip

I have been testing the waters on some LPS corals myself. I would recommend some specimens that are known to handle low- medium lighting. (Once you turn on the high beams, you better know what your doing.)

Meteor Shower Cyphastrea - This has been my unofficial PAR meter. Talk to Enzo under Livestock for sale. Pls. tell me if you find a branching Cyphastrea (Cyphastrea decadia) anywhere. We may have to do a group buy with Reef Corner.

For SPS, I would think the Ponape Birdsnest (Seriatopora Hystrix) which is strangely also known as yellow birdsnest . It provides very noticeable indications by changing color and bending it's sharp growth tips. It grows skinny, so the growth pattern may also be telling of flow issues. If you grow a stag that's symmetrical and nicely colored (anywhere from yellow/green with purple/pink tips to hot pink), then your setup is on point. Obviously, you take cuttings along the way. : ) If your tempted to get the ORA Green birdsnest, which is more demanding, go for it. You can use it for comparisons as well.

As for the first Acro, I will probably go with the Garf Bonsai, which looks like the Miyagi Tort to my inexperienced eyes.

great thanks! I think I will try a few birds nest frags and see how that goes. thanks for all the input!
If your still looking for something, I have a purple birdsnest that I will give to you. I was trying to sell or trade it off but haven't had any bites. It's yours for the taking of interested.

AForys

thanks for the offer, I ended up buying a ponope bird's and a green along with a few other sps to try out. I need to make a new tank thread and update progress.

phish2277

I have the same type of tank. I started out with a birds nest, montis, and leptos. The birds nest is doing great, half of my montis are doing good, and most of my leptos are doing good. As I talked to different people, it seems that each tank is different and it is hard to judge on what is going to work.

Paulip

If it hasn't been mentioned. Stylophora. It has an easily noticeably feeding response among the easy SPS. I have observed it take over an hour to pull in a fish pellet. Ingestion is another thing.

View attachment 16828

Gav

Don't think anyone has mention pocillipora yet either. Pocillipora damicoris is pretty and undemanding and has spawned in reefs as well.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Don't think anyone has mention pocillipora yet either. Pocillipora damicoris is pretty and undemanding and has spawned in reefs as well.

Yes, it's easy, but that spawning becomes a nuisance. I started getting little growths of it all over my tank. I had to use Kalk paste ice a month to kill it. In my opinion, I don't think it is worth the hassle. I removed it from my tank.