Edsbeaker's 1 yr. old 140 gallon tank

edsbeaker

I have decided to start my build thread over for a number of reasons. First due to the CR crash in February none of the photos are visible anymore on the original thread and without those pictures it is just too difficult to understand. Secondly, I have changed or upgraded much of the equipment. Third is because I had two back to back outbreaks of velvet that wiped out all fish, so I have restocked with new fish over the past 3 months. The tank remained fallow twice from October '13 through March '14. Lastly, there are a lot of new members here that may want to follow along. :)

So…
This is how it all started…..

In February 2013 after tearing down my 75 Gallon tank due to dinoflagettes that would not go away I decided to upgrade my tank to a larger one. I was limited on space so my decision was to have a custom 5' starphire tank built. It is 60" X 24" X 21". I also had a stand and canopy custom made with additional side doors for better reaching since I am a short woman and I would not be able to reach the back of the tank otherwise.

Here are some pictures:
View attachment 3221

View attachment 3220

View attachment 3219

Now that I have lived with the tank for a year, I can say my only regret is that I wish I would have had the drain/return size made larger. It is the standard 1" and 3/4". I have a great size pump for the return, but I have had to dial it way back and therefore am not able to get the gph that i would have wanted. The stand and canopy have worked out great! No regrets at all. On the canopy I really appreciate having the choice of either opening any of the 5 doors or the entire front lid which is on a hinge. This has been an awesome feature.

List of original equipment ------> then new updated equipment in red

Lighting
ATI Programable 6 X 54W Sunpower -----> 2 Evergrow 2060 programmable with custom LED pattern.

Filtration/Sump
36" 30 Gallon sump from nano sea creations under tank ------> 48" 55 Gallon sump from nano sea creations and moved down to basement
Super Reef Octopus 2000 Internal Protein Skimmer -----> Super Reef Octopus 3000 Internal Protein Skimmer
ATO- Tunze Osmolator
Internal-Supreme Classis Mag Drive 18 -----> External- PanWorld 200PS

Reactors
2 TLF carbon and GFO reactors ------> 2 BRS carbon and GFO reactors

Dosing Pumps
3 Drews Dosing Pumps from BRS- Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium

Flow
2 Ecotech Marine Vortech Wireless mp40s

Controller
Neptune System Apex Lite- WXM module to program mp40s - Battery Backup - 2 Energy Bar 8 and 1 Energy Bar 4

RODI
BRS 5 Stage PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD ---->Expanded by adding a second DI, 150 GPD, and Booster Pump

Feeder
Neptune Systems Automatic Feeder

To be continued…..

Last edited:

edsbeaker

In January my sump was moved to the basement. It is so much easier for maintenance. I have one pump that stays in the sump and a hose runs up to my laundry room tub for water changes. I have a second pump in the new salt water mix container with a hose that runs directly into the sump. To do a water change, I use my Apex and quickly do 3 steps:

1. I turn off the main sump pump - 1 click on the computer.
2. I turn on the pump leading up to the laundry tub -1 click with the computer.
3. I turn on the pump in the new salt water mix container which refills the sump - 1 click with the computer.
The process takes 5 minutes and I don't have to lift a finger.

I also have all of the dosing pumps and reactors mounted nearby. It's a bit messy, but it works.

View attachment 3248

View attachment 3246

View attachment 3247

The stock list:
All of my fish have gone through quarantine which I hope ends my battles with velvet, ich and everything else. All fish look and act as they should so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
The occupants are as follows.

2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Rainbow BTA
1 Bangaii Cardinalfish
2 Clownfish, 1 Perc and 1 Ocellaris
2 Bonded Flame Hawkfish
1 Red Firefish
1 Royal Gramma
1 African Midas Blenny
1 African Flame Angel
1 Coral Beauty Angel
2 Heniochus Diphreutes
AND my pride and joy…

1 Red Sea Regal Angel
View attachment 3244

Last edited:

lunacris

very nice , how do you like the shallow sand bed ? and hows the multi color angel with the sps , has always been a fav of mine

edsbeaker

The following quote refers to post #8 which is of photos of the tank progression, two posts below this one. I needed to edit the pictures and had to delete the original post, so it's now out of order.

very nice , how do you like the shallow sand bed ? and hows the multi color angel with the sps , has always been a fav of mine
I really like the shallow sand bed. My only complaint is in the front center of the tank I can not seem to keep any sand there. The other negative is I can't keep anything that likes to burrow in the sand.

Unfortunately the multi color was a victim of the velvet outbreak and died. But to answer your question, I have kept them in the past, and my experience has been positive. They have never touched anything.

Last edited:

edsbeaker

Nice ! Really like the Regal Coloration too.
I'm hoping he does well in the tank. Today was his first day out of Quarantine and in the DT. He was a bit reclusive for the first 3-4 hours, but by the afternoon he was out and about checking it all out. He was a very good eater in QT, so I'm hoping that he'll be comfortable enough to compete in the DT with the other fish. Time will tell.:unsure:

edsbeaker

Thanks Ben. Until now I have never connected that it's "you" that is running Ascension Aquatics! Congratulations you young Entrepreneur ;)

Funlad3

Thanks Ben. Until now I have never connected that it's "you" that is running Ascension Aquatics! Congratulations you young Entrepreneur ;)
Thanks! I love getting to meet all of the different people in the area. :) You have to come by! I have free coral for you! :D

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Marilyn,

Looking real good!! Just amazing how time goes by and this baby looks awesome.. Great job!! Hope to see it one day :biggrin5:

edsbeaker

Marilyn,

Looking real good!! Just amazing how time goes by and this baby looks awesome.. Great job!! Hope to see it one day :biggrin5:
Thanks Dre! I'm really happy with the progress of the tank. Right now it's a mixed reef, but I'm leaning more towards getting rid of the SPS and keeping only LPS, softies and zoas.
I haven't been very active here while my tank was fallow over the course of a few months so I didn't know you had a new build until I saw it in your signature. I checked it out and that's a great setup. It is so different from your tank here was. Much more minimalistic and open. Both really nice, just different.

You are more then welcome to stop by when you make your next trip!