Ello everybodi!

falconleader

Quick summary.
18 years old - I go to Elmhurst College - I've lived in Elk Grove(near schaumburg) my whole life
My saltwater taste goes as so= Coral>Inverts>Coral Stacking>Fish>Equipment
I'm gonna try to post a sequence of how my tank has changed over the last 3 months.
OKay so I dunno how to make the picture smaller.

This first picture is the sand airborne when I first finished putting things in.( I got pre cycled water)

A day after (3 1/2 months ago) I moved a bit around

Moving and adding (2 months)

2 Months again but with a black backgroung

1 month
Added a Firefish, diamond goby. and more coral Btw I started the tank with two black clowns you can see their color change over time

Present Sorry for the shaky picture -
So Now i have like 5 different ricordeas, couple zoas, favias, polyps my recent favorite hammer, small tree, other things with names that escape me.
I successfully brought in a blue tang about the size of my clowns who loves to hump my cleaner wrasse/skunk and chase my clowns through the liverock while scaring my firefish/goby everytime he goes by their prized hole( also the goby stacked shells for the roof of his hole if you could see it) he occasionally throws snails on it too. I actually don't run a skimmer. I use 2 200 something fans on top blowing opposite directions which is almost too much current I feel like. I'd love to hear any criticism or suggestions or compliments. Throw it all out there. Hello chi town fish world!

falconleader

Also, I have had an ongoing cyno/red slime problem for a while. Any suggestions other than manuel removal, food, light, basic changes I'd be interested in. Like more along to lines of reef safe chemical experiences you might have had.

EyeReef

Welcome Joey to CR
As far as red slime go, this is usually what works for me. I usually increase flow around the area that it is accumulating. Manually removal, decrease feeding, more freq water changes, and decrease photo period.
Your tank is also very new, a period of algae and red slime is a normal occurance. As your tank matures, you will notice the problem go away with good husbandry

Smitty

Premium member
Welcome to the site...we're glad to have you aboard. Your tank looks great. I agree with Mike on the step to remove and prevent the algae.