Emerald Crab Death... Kenya Tree Poisoned or Starved?

100LL

A year ago I bought three Emerald crabs for my 90 gallon reef and in retrospect that was probably pretty heavy loading. As a matter of opinion to others, I would suggest one or maybe two in a 90 gal. Regardless, they worked well for me and I was very happy with their addition.

Of the three, one died off fairly quickly and I attribute that to survival of the fittest, as the other two were growing very rapidly and this one never really grew.

The other two have grown to a mature size and have continued to be good tenants on the reef. However, after the recent addition of Kenya tree I noted that one was eating it. I wasn't happy about it but didn't really care.

Well this weekend his misdeeds caught up with him and I found him belly up dead.

So, does anyone think that eating a large amount if Kenya Tree coral could poison an emerald crab? Maybe him eating the Kenya tree was result of malnutrition?

Feedback welcome!

ColaAddict

Any algae left to eat? Probably starvation if no algae. My emeralds usually eventually die from no algae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100LL

Any algae left to eat? Probably starvation if no algae. My emeralds usually eventually die from no algae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the note. No, none. They were so damn efficient and I've been running very limited feedings so that was probably it.

I actually wanted to put one of them in the fuge where all the algae is but I simply can't catch anything out of my tank... Hell I can hardy manage to pick up corals when they fall.