emerald crabs that eat hermit crabs

cromag09

Has anyone else had an emerald crab that decided to eat a hermit crab? I also noticed it picking at my feather duster in the tank. Has anyone had them eat anything else in the tank that they did not want them to?

FishBeard

Emeralds regularly go rogue. Sounds like time to catch and flush... I doubt it will magically turn back into a model citizen in your tank. Better now than when it acquires a taste for corals.

Cubbies

I've had two kinds of Emeralds. I've had Emeralds from Reef Cleaners that have a smooth body and have done an amazing job and still do. On the other hand I've gotten "Emeralds" at LFS that are hairy bodied and have picked at my SPS and they always seemed to be up to something.

cromag09

the one that I have has the hairy body. As soon as i saw it eating a hermit crab i stopped eating my dinner and pulled it out of the tank! Is this a common thing that they eat other stuff in the tank?

RedDevil.258

+1 It's a roll of the dice with any crabs. This may sound funny but some times I spot feed my emerald's let them have a inch square of nori all to them self. They can be pretty aggressive when they are hungry.

yogoshio

I've heard from more than one source that if they are kept in a group, they are less likely to go rogue. Not sure why, but I have three people with emeralds in sps/lps filled tanks that have been in there for years in groups of 2-3.

FishBeard

I've heard from more than one source that if they are kept in a group, they are less likely to go rogue. Not sure why, but I have three people with emeralds in sps/lps filled tanks that have been in there for years in groups of 2-3.
I have a group of 3 varying in size, no rogue activities. When I only had one I always sorta suspected it of causing trouble when I wasn't looking.

Prov3:5-6

I have 2. the female is a great helper around the tank, the male is a big bully and wreaks havok on my tank.