Exotic Aquatics

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Did you guys see the flaming these guys took over offering complete setups for Nemos and Doris? The clownfish setup came with a six gallon and the tang setup came with a 30 gallon. They took a lot of heat on R2R, Insta, and FB.

kamasi83

Those seem like awfully small setups for the fish. It's a good marketing strategy if you want to take people's money and run. Shameful. Finding Dory makes the aquarium hobby look bad enough, these guys reinforce that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Crued

Honestly... those setups would have been fine for juvis. An LFS is in business to make money and needs people to spend money to do that. New tank owners come into the hobby everyday, so what's the difference between a parent buying a small clown tank because of a movie or some wealthy douche buying a big 120 setup that they're going to fill with clowns, lionfish and eels? Who are the general public to judge how someone gets into this hobby or how an LFS gets them there? Maybe they would have spent some time chatting with these buyers to educate them on care? Are the rest of us any different?

Fish_wiz2

Honestly... those setups would have been fine for juvis. An LFS is in business to make money and needs people to spend money to do that. New tank owners come into the hobby everyday, so what's the difference between a parent buying a small clown tank because of a movie or some wealthy douche buying a big 120 setup that they're going to fill with clowns, lionfish and eels? Who are the general public to judge how someone gets into this hobby or how an LFS gets them there? Maybe they would have spent some time chatting with these buyers to educate them on care? Are the rest of us any different?
You are right but at the same time, why not educate them from the get go to avoid livestock loss and discomfort of the animal? I'm on the same page with the juvi's being fine for a short time but too often people either kill them before they even mature or grow too attached without wanting to upgrade their tanks. I speak from personal experience when I lost one of my favorite koi in my 100 gallon tub to a bent spine which eventually got me to go up to 1500 gallons to my current 2500 gal pond, reckless on my end. Comparing it to other LFS's, Old Town aquarium years back wouldn't sell me a mandarin for my old establish 75 gallon since I didn't have a refugium.... What's stopping Exotic from doing the same?

Top Water

When I was a kid I still remember winning a goldfish at a carnival for getting a ping pong ball in its little jar. The goldfish police will get you now.

Crued

Comparing it to other LFS's, Old Town aquarium years back wouldn't sell me a mandarin for my old establish 75 gallon since I didn't have a refugium.... What's stopping Exotic from doing the same?
That's part of my point... this type of responsibility is not the norm. Even some of our most loved shops would sell anything without question of the buyer's capabilities. So why does everybody get so huffy when nemo comes out.

madjoe

Premium member
The funny thing is being in this hobby so long ive seen some chit and i know people bash people about fish in wrong tanks and what not and to a point i agree only because usually the fish is cool like dory and would have to sell to quick in small tank . But not to stop fish death cause honestly the people witb the smaller tanks always seem to be able to keep chit alive and the people with bigger tanks god i cant tell u how many ive seen here on this site with large system just killing fish left and right . Idk what it is does bigger tank equal more rich and cares less fuk it if it dies ill buy another till it lives type if deal . Still find the post funny heres a tang kit and a bottle of water to fill tank lol. They should of threw in a sea monkey kit food food