Favorite salt

Joe5688

Hey everyone!

I'm not dead, just been busy but my slow season is coming up so I should be around more.

Annyyyywhoooo, I stopped dosing my tank all together because it's been a non stop battle with this stupid salinity salt never being consistent. So I'm looking into trying a new salt. I want something that stays consistent if it's in my mixing containers for like 2 weeks or so. Salinity drops really alk/calc really fast.

My tank looks like poo cause of my calc and alk being crazy low so i need a new salt so i can start my dosing again.

Recommendations?!

jrpark22000

Premium member
good ole reef crystals for me, parameters stay stable in mixing container for up to the month I've stored it. It's cheap but does leave the brown residue in the mixing container. Otherwise it works well in my reef.

jeffy

good ole reef crystals for me, parameters stay stable in mixing container for up to the month I've stored it. It's cheap but does leave the brown residue in the mixing container. Otherwise it works well in my reef.
I began to notice some brown stuff in my mixing tank. I was a bit worried. Glad to see that that's normal

Sent from my Russian submarine

jrpark22000

Premium member
I began to notice some brown stuff in my mixing tank. I was a bit worried. Glad to see that that's normal

Sent from my Russian submarine
yep, normal. Empty your mixing bucket periodically, put some vinegar in and swirl it around. Use your hand to rub the brown stuff a little and it'll come right off.

Joe5688

I went into researching salts a little yesterday and surprisingly a lot of reef tanks just use io. Even Randy holmes says that's all he well use.

cet98

I'm curious...those of you that use IO or RC, are you dosing Ca, Alk and Mg as well?....
I have used SeaChem Reef for years and have always had happy corals for the most part.
Tried a cheaper Crystal Marine salt for a couple years but determined that corals never seemed happy or as colorful with it so I am back to SeaChem....for the record, I never dose anything so this is what is prompting my curiosity....

jrpark22000

Premium member
Yeah, I have to dose CA/ALK and MG. With as many sticks as I have there is no way any salt could keep up without dosing. If I tried to do it with WC, they'd have to be daily to keep parameters stable.

maidia

Team CR
Yeah, I have to dose CA/ALK and MG. With as many sticks as I have there is no way any salt could keep up without dosing. If I tried to do it with WC, they'd have to be daily to keep parameters stable.
+1 for many stick..Softies no need to dose..

anarchy

I'm curious...those of you that use IO or RC, are you dosing Ca, Alk and Mg as well?....
I have used SeaChem Reef for years and have always had happy corals for the most part.
Tried a cheaper Crystal Marine salt for a couple years but determined that corals never seemed happy or as colorful with it so I am back to SeaChem....for the record, I never dose anything so this is what is prompting my curiosity....
+1 to what Josh said. Before crash I had too many sticks so had to dose daily

ColaAddict

I'm a loyal fan of Seachem reef salt. Never had issues with it and mixes clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk