fighting clowns :(

Mikej714

So I bought 2 black clowns 3 weeks ago and they absolutely do NOT get along with my 2 orange clowns. I have tried everything that I can think of... I have had them seperated on one side of the tank (125g) with an egg crate I made to fit the tank. Before that I tried an acrylic box inside the tank to acclamate and changing all the rocks around. I need to get this crate out of my tank... Anyone have any suggestions ????

SaylorsReef

You're welcome!

No, it would just cause more fighting. Typically more than one pair (one male, one female) will cause fighting. Usually until death.

Heidi

You're welcome!

No, it would just cause more fighting. Typically more than one pair (one male, one female) will cause fighting. Usually until death.
+1 once fish begin to fight especially when paired up they won't stop. If you love both clowns you could take out all 4 an keep the smallest of the new and the largest of the old. They would more then likely pair up if both are occy. I have an orange and a b&w that are in love :). 2 paired clowns are really all you can have unless you have a mega reef.
Heidi

Greg

Umm, if you put one anemone all the way on one side and another anemone all the way on the other side, they may just stay right next to their designated anemone.
This is assuming your tank is mature enough for anemones.

My clownfish never went 4 inches away from their anemone. If they saw food, they would dart out, grab it and dart back into the anemone.

This may work, but it also may cause more issues. If they do not get along still you now have 2 anemones you do not need.

SaylorsReef

Anemones can take a walk. The general rule for clownfish is one pair per tank, unless, as stated, is a mega tank. There have been a few who have gotten away with having more than one pair, but it is not the norm, and it doesn't always remain peaceful. Clownfish can kill each other.

IMO, it is best that one pair find a new home.

lunacris

i got away with it for a few months in the 210 and then one day the black ones killed one of the orange ones lasted another few weeks and the other orange disappeared weird thing is they showed no aggression during day that we seen id move a pair or split up as suggested

fastrc

In my main reef i have 5 clowns, A pair of B&W live in 2 anemones on one side of tank and i have 1 B&W female with a pair of snowflakes and they all get along great in my giant seabe in the middle of my tank. I had the B&W mate in the tank and they picked on him so i moved him into another tank.I have breeder tanks that i put pairs in chambers next to each other for months then if i transfer them to a big tank they get along. Clowns are weird as to who they get along with, Females like a dominate male and there can be juveniles in there click and they get along most of the time. Hard to get 2 pairs(2 females and 2 males) to get along in the same tank without alot of anemone chooses for them to find homes.

Mikej714

Thank you everyone for the input. However I run coppersafe and have a fish only tank so the anenomes are out of the question. It looks as if I am going to need to rehome a pair, more than likely the oranges because the B&W were more expensive. My buddy offered to buy my larger B&W so I could get a smaller one because the larger B&W is mainly the aggressor. He thought if I had a smaller one it would stop the fighting. But I dont think thats the case.