Filter sock or No filter sock

• Yes, I use them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DJE

Iv'e heard both good and bad about filter sock.I personally use them cause they help keep my sump free of detrius and my DT looking extremely clear. Let me know what you guys are doing and why.

MMreef

I don't use any filter socks because with my bacteria driven system they get clogged in about 2 days.I don't feel like changing them so often.I keep a powerhead in my sump to stir up all detrius and all most get taken out by my skimmer.

jcarlilesiu

I use them but have to admit that they can be kind of a pain. I get about 6 uses out of them before they won't come unclogged. By about the 5th attempt at cleaning, they last about 3 days before being completely clogged again.

Its a love hate relationship though because I love how it pics up all of the debris and such and allows me to export it out of the tank.

DJE

I use them but have to admit that they can be kind of a pain. I get about 6 uses out of them before they won't come unclogged. By about the 5th attempt at cleaning, they last about 3 days before being completely clogged again.

Its a love hate relationship though because I love how it pics up all of the debris and such and allows me to export it out of the tank.
Jake- I buy mine from BRS and they work really well with no difference in performance, IMO. I change them out once a week and I've cleaned them more than 15 times already too. Here's the link.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/brs-felt-filter-sock-4-x-14-200-micron-w-plastic-ring.html

ColaAddict

I use the mesh ones from BRS. those don't really clog because they don't really trap the fine detritus stuff. I have those really tiny snails and micro stars that get through my built in overflow and the mesh catches them, as well as large detritus. I just don't want the little snails clogging up my pumps. I have multiple pumps that feed my skimmer, reactors x2, return pump. I only clean it out once a month.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I use them. Have about 7 of them and pull them out every 3 days when they clog. I keep the dirty ones in a bag then wash them all in the washing machine with a little bleach. I usually do 2 extra rinse cycles. They've lasted for over a year and it beats cleaning them by hand!!

DJE

I use them. Have about 7 of them and pull them out every 3 days when they clog. I keep the dirty ones in a bag then wash them all in the washing machine with a little bleach. I usually do 2 extra rinse cycles. They've lasted for over a year and it beats cleaning them by hand!!
Eric- I wash mine by hand cause the whole bleach thing scares me. What else do you do after you bleach them, or does the bleach completely remove after 2 extra rinse cycles?

MMreef

All you have to do is rinse them good and let air dry for a day and they are good to go.I used to do that on my previous tank when I used filter socks.Never had any problems with fish or corals.

jcarlilesiu

Maybe its me, but after several attempts at washing them, they just are clogged. You can hold it up to the light and see the locations where its clean enough to let water pass. Eventually, washing in the machine still doesn't remove enough to make it worth the trouble and I just pitch them.

I use the 200 and 400 micron ones though. So nothing passes through them with exception of the water.

EricTheRed

I use the 100 micron and let the skimmer get the rest. Sure, after a while they stay stained even after the washing machine but it's easy enough to drop them in the wash. (I used to handwash them, but that was a pain!)

EricTheRed

Eric- I wash mine by hand cause the whole bleach thing scares me. What else do you do after you bleach them, or does the bleach completely remove after 2 extra rinse cycles?
I only use a little bit of bleach, maybe a quarter cup, wash/rinse in very hot water and let them air dry before using...haven't killed anything yet :)

DJE

That's good to know. I will definitely be throwing them in the washer with a little bleach.

gig

I recently switched from the Precision marine 100 micron felt bags, which I used for 4+ years to the 200 micron mesh bags, I'm only week one, but I hated how the flet bags would clog and in combo with my auto top off would raise the amount of water in the system, because the bags would both fill and less water was getting thru, causing the ATO to add more fresh water.

poidog

just ordered 5 new 100 micron felt. The 200 micron was letting through too much gunk and making my sump dirty. Then when I turkey bastered it would cloud up my display.

gig

Eric, where did you order the 100 micron felt bags? after a week + of using the 200 micron bags, my water seems cloudier, it might be a combination of very fine microbubles and detrius, but not sure. I might switch back, but i love how the 200 micron mesh does not get clogged up like the 100 micron felt.