Filter Socks

saltymike

Does anyone make there own filter socks? What type of fabric would work best and where should I buy it from?

lunacris

Never thought of this I always change mine out every couple weeks with lfs while he washes for free. I am interested if anyone does this I might try it

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Never thought of this I always change mine out every couple weeks with lfs while he washes for free. I am interested if anyone does this I might try it
Wouldn't it be easier to throw them in your washing machine with a 1/4 cup of bleach? Unless you're already heading to the lfs anyway. Come to think of it, that's a pretty smart lfs...LOL

lunacris

It would be easy but he lfs is down the block and I'm there all the time. Plus he has a washer just. For socks. That way I don't ruin mine with that gunk he figures its easy for his customers to do this way instead of buying new ones all the time.

rattyE36

Sounds like way too much work! I'm glad I have 4 because when 2 get dirty I can just swap the other 2 in and then take my time cleaning the dirty 2.

Douggie-Style

I make my own fiilter socks......I cut felt from Joann Fabrics, sew up the three sides. Then I take a top to a sour cream container or something similar and sew it around the top. I then sock it in bleach for 24 hours and then prime for 24 hours.....I made 8 of them for about 6 dollars......Much cheaper than the commercial type.

mlreef

I make my own fiilter socks......I cut felt from Joann Fabrics, sew up the three sides. Then I take a top to a sour cream container or something similar and sew it around the top. I then sock it in bleach for 24 hours and then prime for 24 hours.....I made 8 of them for about 6 dollars......Much cheaper than the commercial type.
You should post some pics of your socks.

saltymike

I got some fabric from hobby lobby for like $4 and made 10 of em. I'm really starting to question how beneficial they really are though because every time I change it I notice a lot of pods in the sock. It kills me to know that I'm throwing so many of them away. I just wonder if I would be better of without a sock and using a shop vac to get all the detritus out of that chamber of the sump.

Douggie-Style

I don't know how to post pics.....but they are pretty easy to make

As for the killing of pods, don't they breed after the socks in the refugium and in the display tank....I would think the removal of the crap and other particles they remove is far more beneficial than a few dead pods....my opinion and in no way trying to stir the pot and start an argument.