Filter Socks

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
For those of you who use filter socks, how long do you keep them until you dispose of them?

What’s your criteria for throwing them out? Age? How clean or not clean you can get them after washing?

Do you not throw them out and use them for years?

Let me know what you all do!

fishyfish22

Premium member
I've always wanted to wash my filter socks, it seems really economical but I'm terrified of the detergent/cleaner that we use getting into it and doing damage to the tank.
If you wash them, how do you go about it? Especially in winter where power washing isn't really an option?

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
I've always wanted to wash my filter socks, it seems really economical but I'm terrified of the detergent/cleaner that we use getting into it and doing damage to the tank.
If you wash them, how do you go about it? Especially in winter where power washing isn't really an option?
Super easy to clean, I usually rinse them in the sink after taking them out. After I have a few sets of them to wash I wash in hot water with bleach. After the wash I run a rinse cycle and voila nice and clean. If you smell bleach after running a rinse cycle do it again.

dvanlier05

Once a week I'll rinse out old socks, then soak in bleach for 48 hrs. Rinse again with RODI and drip dry. If they still smell, give a second rinse. They usually last over a year for me

Deezill

Premium member
I soak my socks in bleach I get from Home Depot with no Chlromax and let them sit for a few hours then wash them in warm water. I might buy socks every 3 to 4 months. I change them every 2 days though after watching BRS investigates.
When my system was nutrient-deprived I let them stay in for a week or so.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I don’t always run socks, but I do pretty often. I usually give them a rinse in the sink right after I take them out tod the sink. Then I throw them in a bucket until I have enough to wash. I throw them in the washer with bleach. Then I run them again with no bleach. Then I just let them air dry.

aKay09

I usually just turn them inside out and toss them in the wash with a bit of bleach. I will run a rinse cycle before doing so and usually run one or two rinse cycles afterwards. Cleans them up and have had no issues in the tank.