filtration

mr_z

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/filtration.html
biological~ This is the backbone of any aquarium. If you are familiar with the term "cycle" you are already aware of the nitrogen cycle that various bacterial strains perform within our tanks. Often over looked is the denitrification process that anaerobic/anoxic bacteria also perform in the low oxygen areas within our tanks . As such, Any piece of equipment that is labeled a biological filter is somewhat misleading to most, the equipment does not do any of the actual filtering, but is simply providing a "home" for the bacteria to live upon, which do the actual filtering. These homes can come in a variety of forms, anything as simple as just rocks up to elaborate drip (wet/dry) systems. Keep in mind that these bacteria will grow upon all surfaces within the water and can be felt as a slimy coating, which is more correctly termed, a bio-film. A good example of a bacterial bio film is that slimy feeling you have on your teeth when you wake up in the morning, yes, thats all bacteria. The key to a good bacterial bed (filter) is in keeping it cleaned, allowing detritus to become trapped or settled upon it just allows that matter to rot into eventually becoming more nutrients. As such, when picking your method or "home" for the bacteria, its ease of cleaning should be a big factor in your choice.

mechanical~ This form of filtration is pretty cut and dry, all such devices use some method to trap matter and hold it for removal. This can be done by skimmers and all the various models that use a trapping material such as floss pads or sponges. A skimmer is in its own class though and one that I feel every tank may have occasional use of.. The other types that trap larger particles may do a good job for what they were designed to do, as long as they are kept clean, the longer that trapped material is allowed to remain in the water, the more of it will break down into nutrients, thus defeating the whole purpose of such filters. I personally do not use any of the filter pad/sponge type filters since I prefer to allow any and all micro life to remain in the tank to help keep the diversity of life and to act as a live food source. I also believe that the trapping of particulates is very counter productive and removes a very important food source for a great number of reef animals that we strive to keep. Please see this article on Detritus. One other type of filtration that I suppose could be considered mechanical is the use of live plants to absorb nutrients, the most commonly used plants for this purpose are the macro algae' and mangrove trees, with the use of macro algae, as the plant grows, it absorbs nutrients and thus competes with the pest type algae' for food, when the macro algae is trimmed and thrown away, you are in effect, throwing away its absorbed nutrients also.

chemical~ The use of any "chemical filter" such as phosphate binders, or oxidizers should only be used in an emergency situation to clean up excessive nutrients when more traditional methods have not matured yet or have been overloaded and failed to keep up. Each of the chemical methods has their own dangers involved with their use, its the old to much of a good thing. Unless you can test for the elements you are targeting for removal, I would not use any of the above methods. It is very possible to remove to much of a given nutrient/element and your livestock can suffer for it. I feel all these methods are "band aides" only, in that they should never be relied upon as a constant use item. If you are having to do so to maintain water quality, then your tank's filtration is ineffective or inadequate and needs to be examined to increase its effectiveness.

jcarlilesiu

Great post about the three main types of filtration.

I only use 2, biological and mechanical.

Biological of course is the live rock and I also run a filter sock in my sump.

I will run chemical filtration only if I am doing something unusual with the tank like treating a specific problem with a form of treatment I don't want lingering in the system. Flatworm exit comes to mind as that was the last treatment I had to do. No fun.