Fin Rott on my mandarin?? HELP

Rcunning8

Premium member
Hey guys came home from the gym to see that the right two lateral find on my mandarin( the right fin that he perches on and the right fin that kind of swirls around) are both significantly injured or rotting.. Honestly it looks like somthing took a bite out of the fins. I look at the fish everyday and he has been whole up until now. The wavy fin that kind of flutters around looks the worst where like a piece of it is kind of dangling off and a good third of it is just completely gone.. My question is,

is this fin Rott?

If it is Rott what should I do?

If it's not Rott could he have been attacked?

Will his fins grow back?

If it is Rott will it cpntaminate my other fish?

I have some pics below but honestly they are pretty bad. I will try to take some more and post them later.

I guess it is possible that my Randal's goby went after him. He is huge and really doesn't like when any fish gets near his burrow with the pistol.

Lemme know and thanks guys!

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rcunning8

Premium member
Forgot to add the fish is acting completely normal, swimming around picking at rocks and trying to get his sexy time on with his female friend.

#theMatrix

Those look like tears. ....and id even go as far as to say it was dennis. The tares look like from a tank mate. The tears are rough. And do heal and connect from the tares.

If it was fin rotm usually youll see bubble like puss from the bacterial/fungus infection, Usually

Should be ok. But look for agression

Rcunning8

Premium member
looks like it is my labouts fairy wrasse, not dennis that is the culprit. I saw her chasing around my mandarin yesterday and trying to bite hime for like 2 mins and then they ignored each other. Annoying for sure but I hope she doesn't get super aggressive or keep biting at jackie. Anyone had any experience with these labouts being aggressive? From what I have read and heard in person they are supposed to be pretty chill

madjoe

Premium member
looks like it is my labouts fairy wrasse, not dennis that is the culprit. I saw her chasing around my mandarin yesterday and trying to bite hime for like 2 mins and then they ignored each other. Annoying for sure but I hope she doesn't get super aggressive or keep biting at jackie. Anyone had any experience with these labouts being aggressive? From what I have read and heard in person they are supposed to be pretty chill
Yea they one of the most aggressive wrasses ive had but usually only towards other wrasses never bothered any one else

Rcunning8

Premium member
Yea they one of the most aggressive wrasses ive had but usually only towards other wrasses never bothered any one else
Other wrasses?? Should I be worried about her going after my leopards? In particular my potters?

madjoe

Premium member
Other wrasses?? Should I be worried about her going after my leopards? In particular my potters?

I didnt have leopards at the time had other fairys and corris coris hled its own eventually i ended up with bunch of dead fairys although labouti lost the fight he started. I have heard sombody on the forum back in day had one kill his chioati pair he was pretty pissed i wouldnt jump to conclusions but keep eye on everything tgey maybe alright if they were in there first

Rcunning8

Premium member
I didnt have leopards at the time had other fairys and corris coris hled its own eventually i ended up with bunch of dead fairys although labouti lost the fight he started. I have heard sombody on the forum back in day had one kill his chioati pair he was pretty pissed i wouldnt jump to conclusions but keep eye on everything tgey maybe alright if they were in there first
Yea labouti was the last wrasse I added. Of course the lfs said they were completely chill and would not agitate my other wrasses because it was a fairy not a leopard. I want to add one more fish but it will be a tang of some sort so I'm hoping that won't have any bearing on the wrasse behavior

#theMatrix

...carefull ryan.
QT any tang. Unless its from an established system
Id hate to see your system take a hit because of the last fish you want to add

Rcunning8

Premium member
...carefull ryan.
QT any tang. Unless its from an established system
Id hate to see your system take a hit because of the last fish you want to add
I got a naso tang from underwater world. It looks perfect, has been there for two weeks in treated copper. I kinda wish I saw this before putting him in cuz now I have anxiety.. Any experience with these fish?

madjoe

Premium member
I have a qt tank but it's not set up ugh

If u didnt qt any other fish then qting your tang now is kinda pointless . Stuff maybe in system already and if tang is gonna get sick its gonna get sick . I wouldnt worry to much as precautions i always feed my fish food treated with metro and focus for month or more that way if sometging shows up im not worried i keep feeding it and eventually goes away.
Btw buying from established system isnt a fail safe way i owned a purple tang had it 6months sold to a buddy he had it for long time over 6months or more clean tank put in mine was fine for little while then starting fighting with angel and bam ich mesicated food and all good now

Last edited:

Rcunning8

Premium member
If u didnt qt any other fish then qting your tang now is kinda pointless . Stuff maybe in system already and if tang is gonna get sick its gonna get sick . I wouldnt worry to much as precautions i always feed my fish food treated with metro and focus for month or more that way if sometging shows up im not worried i keep feeding it and eventually goes away
Thanks joe I also do this and already have frozen cubes prepared that is laced with metro, praxis and garlic juice. Have u ever kept a naso tang before? I am reading a lot on them and from the articles I have read they say they are some of the hardier tangs and are pretty resistant to disease especially with cleaner shrimp (I have two) and I also run a 36 watt uv sterilizer 24/7. Although I haven't seen ich in my tank in months, I did see it pop up a few months ago, fed heavy and it went away. Prob still there but I just don't have the room in my small apartment to set up my qt for a month

#theMatrix

Yea i was going to echo the same thing said.
The UV helps....monitor it incase it freaks out. Then pull out if need be.

Tangs are the 1st to go

Rcunning8

Premium member
Although Dennis the sargassum trigger is much smaller he went up to the naso right when he got in there, showed him who is boss and swam away after a little dance and flashing it was pretty funny

madjoe

Premium member
Thanks joe I also do this and already have frozen cubes prepared that is laced with metro, praxis and garlic juice. Have u ever kept a naso tang before? I am reading a lot on them and from the articles I have read they say they are some of the hardier tangs and are pretty resistant to disease especially with cleaner shrimp (I have two) and I also run a 36 watt uv sterilizer 24/7. Although I haven't seen ich in my tank in months, I did see it pop up a few months ago, fed heavy and it went away. Prob still there but I just don't have the room in my small apartment to set up my qt for a month

I had few never had luck with them to much never got ich but one day fine six months later dead but everyone else i know has had good luck with em lol somehow i can keep achillies but cant keep a dam naso alive lol. With uv and metro soaked food i wouldnt loose sleep over it i ran my system like that for yrs no issues even when i h popped up it dissapeared just as fast im actually adding a uv again soon just t clear up water a bit