Fire shrimp aggressive?

jvermeulen

Premium member
When I 1st bought my tank & set it up, then cycled it, I put in my fish and 2 fire shrimp. The next day one was dead, a week later I bought a cleaner shrimp to be part of my clean up crew, he lasted 2 days then I found him dead, I wasn't sure what happened so 3 days ago I bought 2 peppermint shrimp to eat the nuisance anenamies that were starting to grow in my tank, now I get home today from work and they're both dead! Has anyone else had a problem with fire shrimp being aggressive?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

When I 1st bought my tank & set it up, then cycled it, I put in my fish and 2 fire shrimp. The next day one was dead, a week later I bought a cleaner shrimp to be part of my clean up crew, he lasted 2 days then I found him dead, I wasn't sure what happened so 3 days ago I bought 2 peppermint shrimp to eat the nuisance anemone that were starting to grow in my tank, now I get home today from work and they're both dead! Has anyone else had a problem with fire shrimp being aggressive?

Fixed it 4 ya and yes have see some very aggressive fire shrimp

jvermeulen

Premium member
Should I sell him for cleaner and peppermint shrimp? Does fire shrimp do anything good for the tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Should I sell him for cleaner and peppermint shrimp? Does fire shrimp do anything good for the tank?

overview ...
The Blood Red Fire Shrimp, also known as Blood Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, or Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, is one of the most popular shrimp in the aquarium hobby. It has a blood-red body with white spots and long white antennae. Depending on which region of the Indo-Pacific from which it originates, it may have the white dots just on its carapace, or covering its entire body.
The Blood Red Fire Shrimp prefers a habitat providing it with a cave or overhang where the lighting is not too intense. While it will tolerate its mate, others of its own kind will be chased away or harassed. It is generally peaceful with most other organisms in the reef system unless they impinge on its territory. As a "cleaner shrimp," it will set up cleaning stations and remove dead tissue and parasites from fish that present themselves. It will also scavenge for meaty bits along the substrate bottom. Often, only its antennae will be visible. It will not tolerate copper or high levels of nitrates in the aquarium, but will require correct levels of iodine in the water to promote proper molting.

The diet of the Blood Red Fire Shrimp should include freeze-dried, live or frozen foods, and flaked foods

they have beautiful colors but love to Fight , take a trip to Underwater and trade him in for some peppermint .. picked up a half dozen last week for $12.00 and they get along great with 2 Coral banded shrimp

reefjedi82

I have a 75 gallon five peppermints a cleaner and a fire and no issues but like tang police said some are some are not. Wondering if when I move everything into a 29 cube I should get rid of it if they are teritorial

I have a 75 gallon five peppermints a cleaner and a fire and no issues but like tang police said some are some are not. Wondering if when I move everything into a 29 cube I should get rid of it if they are teritorial
when you down size to the 29 you could very well have a problem , smaller tanks and cramped quarters bring out the aggression . I had a lrg Ring angel and a red sea in QT and the ring was mean and wanted to lay the beat down on the Red Sea I put them in the 300 gallon and these guys are best buds. I brought home a Fire shrimp and 6 peppermint yesterday eve and dropped em in the 300 and just took a look and there all getting along and chowing on cocktail shrimp .