First salty tank

It is about time I got a saltwater tank. I have been looking at them and reading about them for a few years now. I have been doing freshwater for a while and originally wanted a salt tank. I finally have one. Got the LR and salt water today. Still need to get more for it, but it is started.

It is a 10 gallon tank with about 12 lbs of LR in it. It has a 170 GPH powerhead in it that is going to be replaced with an AC110 fuge and smaller power head in the future. Right now, the lighting is 2 10 watt 6500K CFL bulbs in a dual incandescent hood. They will be replaced with 50/50 bulbs soon. Then I can think about some more powerful lighting. I got 1.5 lbs of live rock, and 12.5 lbs of dry rock, so this tank is going to sit for a while while it all spreads. I am also going to add a sand bed. That will be soon as well.

That's all for now.

That is where I started. Now this is where I am.

I have been a busy dude. I got an awesome deal on a 15 gallon tank that is drilled for a 1" drain and 3/4" return with a stand, 10 gallon sump, return pump, and bunch of live rock. I jumped on it. Once I got it I set it up and ran it. The plumbing was not pretty but functional. I decided to change it. The 10 gallon sump was not modded in any way, so I decided to change that too. I also modded the stand so the entire back of it would be open.

I also decided I didn't have enough room in the sump for a fuge, so I am going to pipe in a 2.5 gallon tank to do that.

Ok, down to the details.

I split the sump into two sections.

On the left is the 3" pvc rock rubble stack where the water will enter the sump. It is on an eggcrate riser so the water will flow out of the bottom and blow any detritis out.

The first section of the sump is going to be jammed with live rock and later a skimmer. Probably going to be a Coralife Super Skimmer rated for a 65 gallon tank.

The second part of the sump is the return. Right now I have a return filter from a BioCube 29 but am going to replace it with a Mag Drive 3 in the near future.

The return is 3/4" pvc and the drain is 1" pvc. The drain is going to be split so I can drain into the 2.5 gallon fuge and the sump.

The drain to the fuge is 3/4" with a valve on it so I can shut it down.

The fuge is going to be drilled for a 3/4" drain to the sump and be sort of slow flow. I have a 10watt 6500K mini CFL lamp in a 12" hood for it.

Ok, on to the nitty gritty. I had all the plumbing and all that mocked up the other day when I noticed the drain had a small leak in the bulkhead. Silly me tried to teflon tape it and crank the nut down which resulted in it breaking. The new bulkhead won't be here until late next week. So, I am sort of stuck until then.

On a more minor note, I made an eggrate top for the display tank.

On the list of things to do, I still need to paint the back of the DT black, and get the plumbing taken care of once the bulkhead gets here. After that, it is going to be flooded and everything else will get taken care of while it is up and running.

To do list:
Drill and plumb fuge
Purchase skimmer
DIY LED fixture for DT
Set up ATO system
Paint back of DT
Glue plumbing
Purchase Hydor Koralia Nano powerhead(s)
Purchase Mag 3 return pump

After all of that, I should be good to go. This is going to take a while though. The good thing is this, I don't really have to get any more live rock though.

My original 10 gallon is stacked with it.

That is all for now. I know this post was a bit all over the place, but I hope you get the idea so far.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Great start!!! Like the 3" pvc idea.. Is the 2.5gal already drilled? I also have a 2.5gal and was thinking of using 1\2 pvc with a crazy project I want to try :D

noduh

just watch out for those valves when a snail or crab shell gets stuck in it and backs up the water

m.miller1547

I'm not sure if I'm following correctly but don't let main return to your fuge. It would put allot of water on floor if the return on the fuge got just a lil Chaeto stuck. How do u plan on lighting all this?

Great start!!! Like the 3" pvc idea.. Is the 2.5gal already drilled? I also have a 2.5gal and was thinking of using 1\2 pvc with a crazy project I want to try :D
The 2.5 is not drilled yet. I am gonna drill for a 3/4" drain with a strainer of some sort. I am gonna wait a week or two to drill it, but I can add it after the system is already up and running. What kind of crazy project?:shocked:

So far, so good... :)
Thanks.:)

just watch out for those valves when a snail or crab shell gets stuck in it and backs up the water
Yeah. I have an overflow box, so I should be ok, but I will keep that in mind when this thing is running.

Looks great. Awesome project. Lemme know if u need to drill that 2.5. I have 3/4 and 1" bits.
I might take you up on that one. Thanks man.

I'm not sure if I'm following correctly but don't let main return to your fuge. It would put allot of water on floor if the return on the fuge got just a lil Chaeto stuck. How do u plan on lighting all this?
The fuge is going to be plumbed off the main drain from the DT, but there will only be a little bit of water going to it at a time. I have a valve on it so I can throttle it way back. And I will have the drain open all the way from the fuge. As for lighting, the fuge is going to be lit by a 10watt mini CFL 6500k bulb, and the DT is either going to be LED or T5HO, not sure which yet though. I am leaning more towards the LED's just based on price and power consumption right now.

Got the back painted. Need to paint the eggcrate top, get the bulkhead installed when it comes in, and glue all the PVC together and this thing will be ready.

m.miller1547

check out ledgroupbuy.com. they have a new heatsink out and looks awesome. i ordered one for my tank already. so you def drilling a little overflow on the refug. then the refug drains to the sump. i think you would be better off running a smaller plump to refugium from the sump. the only reason i say so is because you may have detritus building you that little fuge. let your skimmer pick up most of the garbage before it passes through your fuge. use some 90 elbows with barb fittings and flex tube. if you use allot of rigid pvc it becomes loud. once its plumed its gonna be hard to get in and out with that little bit of clearance. just a few thoughts. Nice paint job

Are you talking about this one? I really don't want to have to run two return pumps. If the detritis gets bad, I may do that though. I wanna drill a 3/4" return in the 2.5 gallon. As for the drain, I was going to do a 90* like you said and cut some teeth in the top of it so it would be like a small overflow box. I can try to mock something up later to show you better what I mean. And thanks about the paint job man. When the bulkhead started leaking, I yanked off the background you had on it and realized I couldn't reattach it. So, paint it was. Only took me a few minutes too. I may paint 2 sides of the fuge to keep the light from spilling into the sump too.

Bulkhead is here and installed. Plumbing is glued and curing. Now I need to break the 10 gallon down into buckets so I can do some minor furniture rearranging. Other then all that. I need to let it cure for a few hours.

I still need to get a bulkhead for the 2.5 and drill it for a 3/4" drain. And I need to paint the back and one side of it black. After that, just some upgrades left.

Upgrades planned

2x Hydor Koralia Nano 240's to replace the 2 existing powerheads
Mag 3 to replace the Oceanic return pump
Some loc-line to replace the existing

Then I need to figure out some permanent lights. Probably going to do LED's but I may do a T5HO fixture. Not sure if I should do 2 bulbs or 4 bulbs for the T5 though. Any thoughts?

Tank and stand are in their spot. Here it is all lit up. Cable's Lagoon lives!

Not the final lights for the DT, but that is the light for the fuge.

The bulbs in the fixtures I got need to be replaced.

Both fixtures on.

Rear fixture on.

Front fixture on.

Both fixtures have a 10,000K and Actinic bulb in them. You can see how far gone they are.

And this tank needs to clear up. ASAP.

I snapped a couple of pictures before work but did not get to post them as I got called in early. Pretty much answered the phone with my arm in the sump. Ruined my night. Any way, here they are.

Not sure how I feel about the scape and I think I could use more rock. Then again, maybe I should just fill it with corals.

Had quite a bit for the sump, but I think I want some more.

That is all for now. Need to see how badly my salinity swings overnight and throw together an ATO.