first tank

kurens

hi to everyone.do you guys think 90-125gal for newbie is to big?reading and reading from weeks i am ready to buy tank and start with saltwater(prefer reef tank)thanks for any advice...sorry for my english

misenplace101

the general rule of thump is go as big as you can afford. Meaning the bigger the tank it will cost more on equipment, stocking and running it.

I started out with a 30 and upgrading to a 90 2 month later. I am in the process of going with a 120 cause of the 24" width. Hope this helps and my .002 cents worth.

kurens

thanks for info.thats what i am trying to avoid..upgrading...on other side i know its never big enough.i live in condo so around 100gal is max what i can get here.thanks again.

EyeReef

First off, Welcome Peter to CR!!!

I agree with going as big as you can afford. Bigger tank = more water volume = greater stability.

You also want to go as wide as possible vs going tall and narrow.
Gives you more room to aquascape and sand space.

Make sure your tank is Reef ready. This will help hide all the ugly equipment underneath in the sump.

Get a good skimmer and lighting.

Good luck and keep us updated!!

kurens

thanks guys for input.so i got problem right now...i can go 48..60..72 inches but 18inch deep is max,there is no space for 2'...need some space to walk between tank and couch.ughh

misenplace101

...need some space to walk between tank and couch.ughh
Get rid of the couch and put a comfy lounger there... jk

+1 on ChicagoReefer on skimmer, reef ready and lighting.

Here are a few things you might want to consider on your selection:

lighting and flow on a 72" (takes alot to get enough flow... the expense of lighting)
lighting on a 24" height (MH or min 6 t5's depending on your plans)

I went with a 90 with 6 T5's should have gone with an 8 since my was sps dominate.

I'm going with 2 250 mh se and led blue for supplement (hope this balance out the cost)

mr_z

the general rule of thump is go as big as you can afford. Meaning the bigger the tank it will cost more on equipment, stocking and running it.

I started out with a 30 and upgrading to a 90 2 month later. I am in the process of going with a 120 cause of the 24" width. Hope this helps and my .002 cents worth.
+1 on the go as big as u can afford.

P.Olsen

That depends on the total budget, if I had to pick between a well set up 90 or 120 I would get it over the 125. The 90 and 120 are 4' and the 125 is 6', the lighting needs cost quite a bit more as well as sand, rock etc for the additional 2'. All are large enough to create a very stable set up with about the same amount of maint.

Smitty

Premium member
Hello and welcome to the site...there's nothing wrong with going with the 90gal...it's a great start size, and the pricing for lighting isn't ridiculous. It's considered a large tank, but not too big that it can't be managed. A 120gal can be too tall to work in and need much stronger lights to reach the bottom, and a 125 is 2ft longer but thinner, so I'd personally go with my 1st mind and go with the 90gal. :)

fastrc

Out of all my tank sizes i enjoy the 125 because the width makes it nice for landscape layout and the depth is still workable within the room i use it in, I set my 180 in the space and the depth stuck out to much into the room area. Your room spacing sounds like mine. Good luck and welcome!

SkunkerX

I would go with the biggest tank you can afford and what space you have would allow. My 1st salt water tank was a 125 and I'm very happy with it although it can be quite expensive to start out "but since i wasn't using my snowmobile anymore I sold it to get everything I needed, boy I do miss it :( " but it is a joy to look at everyday especially when I'm stressed out. Keep us posted and :wel6:

nyckeeandnate6

I personally prefer Nano Reefs. We are going to be doing 1 or 2 big tanks though. The biggest thing with the Nano's is when something goes wrong, it goes wrong fast.
Good luck with your tank and remember patiences is the key.

falconleader

I just started and I have a 29 gal. It's great, but I would kill to have a bigger one so I could stuff it with tons more stuff. Focus on getting adequate equipment that doesn't limit you to what you want. Example- I can't put certain coral in I want due to lighting size and other things. Splurge. You'll be happy.