First time dosing

yman182

Hello All

I am at the stage with my tank that I think I need to start to do some automated dosing. I was going to go with the BRS two part and Mag stuff and get some kind of dosing pumps. Before I go out and purchase all of this, does anyone have any other recommendations on other vendors for the chemicals or for a good dosing pump?

Thanks,

Yury

Jason R

Do you have a tank controller (Reefkeeper or Neptune Apex) or do you plan on using a dosing pump controller combo (Aqua Medic, Vertex Libra, etc.)?

yman182

i have a apex, but I was planning on getting a dosing pump with a controller built in. If I were to use the apex, I would have to purchase another eb4 module, which still might be cheaper then getting a dosing pump with a built in controller.

Jason R

I think you should buy standalone dosers and an extra eb4 module. Actually with the $40 difference between an Eb4 and an Eb8 I would pay the extra $40 and get the EB8. That way you have remote control over the process and it is all integrated. If you put a standalone controller on an APEX controlled socket there is a lot of room for them to step on each other's toes since they can't communicate.

Spartanman22

I personally used BRS products for about two years, but kind of got sick of paying the price knowing what it is I'm actually adding. So for the past 2-3 years I've been running DIY two part.

Prestone driveway heat or peladow (if you can get it) for calcium

Epsom salt for magnesium

Baking soda for alkalinity

I did not notice any negative results in the transition from BRS to DIY and have not had any issues with this method since I switched, and I haven enjoyed large savings!

Here is a very good link for regarding DIY two part:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/

brettz16

It took me a while to decide how to auto dose as well. I finally just purchased an RKL and two dosers from BRS. Coudlnt be happier with the outcome. As for the chemicals, ive been using B-ionics CAL and ALK. You dose the same amount for both so if you can set up the first one right, the second one follows the exact same. Its also realitively cheap when you purchase in bulk. I dont dose MAG but i do add vinegar every other day to keep nitrates in check.

edsbeaker

Just my opinion, but hooking up your dosing pumps through the apex, instead of using a separate controller, has much value. For instance you can set up the apex so that when you are doing maintenance or feeding and your pumps are off, the dosing pumps will not turn on. This way you are not adding chemicals in water while it isn't circulating, which would cause the dose to be very high in the spot it is going into. Also you can set up a safety that will stop dosing alkalinity if your pH goes above a pre-determined number. Mine turns off at 8.35. If the pump gets stuck on, having this set up over a timer could quite easily save your tank from disaster.

Also, it is SO easy to program. My program for alkalinity is

Fallback OFF
OSC 030:00/001:20/028:40 Then ON Every 30 minutes past the hour the dosing pumps go on for 1 min and 20 seconds.
If pH > 08.35 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If Outlet Maint = ON Then OFF

Just a heads up with connecting dosing pumps with the apex energy bars. Because these devices use very little power you will likely need outlets that have relays for the pumps to turn ON/OFF reliably. The energy bar 8 only has 2 relays, outlet 4 and 8. The energy bar 4 has all of it's 4 outlets with relays. So if you are going to be dosing alk, calc, and mag you will need 3 relay switched outlets. The energy bar 8, even though it has 8 outlets would not work for 3 dosing pumps.

same here, ive been dosing esv b-ionic for bout an year or so and everything seems to be looking nice and stable... my only mistake with dosing in my previous tank was keeping up with it. somedays i would forget and would need to double the dosage the next day but as u can see, the parameters weren't stable. My Solution; i ended getting some dosing pumps and ever since that, its been easy reef keeping.. i definitely recommend some dosing pumps if your out and about like me.. also make sure the salt you do water changes with are normal parameters and not high in like calcium, alk, trace elements (like Kent marine salt, they have pretty high calcium) cause the b-ionic comes with the trace elements in them.. sometimes i can go 3 weeks to about a month in water changes.. but normally do every 2 weeks. IMO i recommend esvb-ionic cause it works great for me...

Tangency

I was in a similar situation as you awhile back, while I had a RK controller I also wanted a doser with the functionality built in. I decided against a calcium reactor because of tank size, cost, and ease of use. I ended up purchasing a 3 channel Bubble Magus Doser. It is compact, easy to program, and a little noisy (as they all are). The unit only runs for a few second intervals through out the day so it is not too noticeable. It is/was a great addition for stank stability. I think the Litermeter dosing unit is also highly recommended. Dialing in your pump will take a few weeks of water parameter testing and refinements before you can forget about it. BRS sells replacement heads for the pumps when they start to wear out. Although, I just tested mine and the calibration is still accurate two years later. I recommend buying or making something to manage the vinyl tubing to it doesn't drip down the side of your tank/sump and create calcium deposits.

I am currently using Arm And Hammer Baking Soda for Alk, Epsom salt for major Mag adjustments (and ESV B-Ionic for maintenance), and BRS Calcium Chloride for Cal supplement.