Fish planet - deerfield

Loki047

I don't know if anyone's been here before but it was a pretty.clean and.friendly place. They have nice assortment of fw fish and sweet fish along with frags.

They are about 10 minutes from MCF in deerfield.

MMreef

I've been there many times,the owner Steve is very nice and helpful guy.Their livestock is always healthy.Never see a sick or dead fish in his tanks.

Jep21

Been there b4 its a nice place.. has a wide variety of Salt and Fresh water fish.. He also gives some free cheato here and there which is awesome. The only thing i have to say though is its a little pricey but other than that its good..

ColaAddict

Nice set up, I live pretty close to it. I don't know how Steve maintains that place by himself. I haven't seen anyone else working at the store other than him. He was selling a gigantic mandarin goby last week, biggest one I've seen. I think the only problem with his store other than a bit high on fish prices, is that the store is so close to MCF, which I usually preffer to go to MCF because they have better fish prices.

JVC

Fish Planet tends to have more fish, but their prices aren't always better (but aren't ridiculous like Old Orchard). I've been in there a few times for dry goods when MCF didn't have what I needed. I've seen two other younger girls working in there before, maybe Steve's kids or just some highschool help, other than that every subsequent visit I have only seen him, definitely impressive if he takes care of that all by himself!

wipe

Its a great place.I like to go there for his frags always healthy and genorous. You have to drive the extra mile if you go to Midwest Coral farms its worth it.

Smith11

One of the best, steve has a better fw and sw selection than anyone else around. Im pretty sure he started old orchard too but then sold it a few years ago.

JVC

Went in there yesterday, Steve was very helpful in figuring out what to feed a frogfish, gave a bunch of suggestions and ultimately helped us find something that worked. Plus he had 3 nice frogfish for sale, a red one, an orange one and a jet black one that was a bit bigger. Very nice fish selection at very reasonable prices.

If you have the time, it's worth popping in when anywhere near MCF.

7Hogwarts

Premium member
I picked up a great Maxi mini anemone there the other week. Blue face,Green skirt and a pink mouth. It was living in the overflow and only $15.

Herbie

Banned
Pricey but clean. Was there today based on reading this post. They charge more for SW than MCF, but if you need dry goods, they have a bunch (I think their location must force higher prices). Basically no frags for sale.

FishBeard

Its not about location, its about volume. Obviously a small one-man-show cant touch the high volume discounts of a big warehouse place like MCF. True, he is not a MCF, but he is doing a great job with what he has going on there, and really his prices are pretty good for a small retail store, there are plenty out there charging WAY more than he is.

Herbie

Banned
Its not about location, its about volume. Obviously a small one-man-show cant touch the high volume discounts of a big warehouse place like MCF. True, he is not a MCF, but he is doing a great job with what he has going on there, and really his prices are pretty good for a small retail store, there are plenty out there charging WAY more than he is.
I'm sure you are right, but I'm also sure the $/sf is a little higher for fish planet than it is for MCF and since he sells FW it definitely more mainstream. When I was there yesterday the guy was patiently helping a lady and her kids set up a gold fish bowl! It's a double sword though. Who would ever just happen to see MCF and stop by? (I could barely find it with a GPS for the first time)
I'm a bargain hunter and still very new to this, but I try to support as many LFSs as I can because I can't get expertise from marine depot and sometimes the wide span and contradiction of advice on forums is basically like no advice. So far I have been to three (with SW) in the area and they seem to all have their niche for me. I am literally trying to determine which product I can buy from each of them to help make sure they stay in business, but there is a pricepoint for EVERYTHING! If it weren't for CR I would have never know fishplanet was there and if it weren't for MCF, I wouldn't know CR was here.
In any case, I'm glad to have the variety and will continue to support as much as I can. I'll just be doing my water changes from MCF and dry goods from FishPlanet when I need them faster than UPS ground. just my inexperienced 2 cents. :pleasantry:

FishBeard

So you didnt read the whole article and see its an April fools joke written by the guy who owns the fish in your avatar.
I always thought the April Fools joke was the report that a third lightning maroon was harvested? There was always 2 legitimate ones collected and sold afaik...

Crooks

What he linked to was posted 4/1/11. I think the same site did the third one found on 4/1/10. The first wild caught one died. I have been told and that was in the late 90's early 2000's?

There have been some other maroons that have been captive bread that have some interesting lines just none that look as good as the lighting so far. But what do I know.