Fish Shopping List??

So here we are, everybody in the 220g is loving the space...and we think they need some new friends to swim with.

What we have:

Yellow Tang
Sailfin Tang
Powder-Blue
Virgate Rabbitfish
Yellowtail Blue Damsel x 2

This is going to be a reef tank, but we figured we should get the fish in while we wait on the lights. So here we are. I would REALLY like to get an Achilles one day, but who know when that day will be.

Other than that, really open to suggestions and recommendations!!

Thanks a ton!

yogoshio

Well, since its a reef, you can't get any of the really cool guys ;)

I'd get a pair of awesome picasso clowns, but those aren't going to catch the eye for size.

Well, since its a reef, you can't get any of the really cool guys ;)

I'd get a pair of awesome picasso clowns, but those aren't going to catch the eye for size.
I keep reading about the niger trigger...I would think he would be a "cool" guy...but some places say he's completely reef safe, some say it COULD be reef safe, and the others say don't ever never think about putting a trigger in...

Scotts phone...

mlreef

I had a Niger Trigger for 2 years in my reef tank. It never touched any of the corals and or inverts. I sold him because he went from 3" to 10" in 2 years...

Reefwise

Premium Sponsor
Hey Guys! This is Eric from Reefwise (Brian's Son). We are just starting to get on-board here at chicagoreefs (we should be sponsors soon!). Our goal is to be giving and receiving advice on a regular basis!

One of the things that took me a while to realize in reef keeping was how cool it was to have mated pairs of fish were. My favorites include blue throat triggers pairs, mandarins pairs, pencil wrasses pairs, and harems of resplendent or lyretail anthias.

Achilles is definitely one of my favorite tangs!!

get a blue jaw, pink tail, or crosshatch.
Well the crosshatch is out...I'm not willing to spend that on a fish. I like the pink tail, well I think my old lady would like it therefore letting me get it easier...

BUT the pair of blue jaw would be very cool....hmmmmm plus I always did like the niger...this is hard to figure out! Too many choices!!

Scotts phone...

I wouldnt mind a butterfly, but from what I have read they cannot be trusted with corals at all. The tank will be an all corals tank, anything and everything will end up in the tank.

yogoshio

Yeah, butterflies are even worse than dwarf angels. Some dwarfs do ok, but VERY rarely do butterflies stay reef safe for long.

Reefwise

Premium Sponsor
Pyramid Butterflies are the most reef safe. In the wild, their diet does not consist of coral but rather plankton. My friend and I have both had pairs and they never picked at coral.

jm23

Our LFS just got a male crosshatch trigger and it was beautiful, but no way do I have that kind of money.

Just got myself a Niger Trigger and he is awesome!! (So we can add that to the list :))

edit: My Mrs. got herself a yellow clown gobie too!