Flat Crab / Pod looking creature....

DanSreef

Premium member
OK. I need everyone's help. I found a small (about half the size of your small finger's nail) crab-like creature crawling among the rock in my new 92. It is brown and rather flat... definitely not a snail. It definitely had short milipede like legs... The rear of the creature looks like a two pronged pitchfork... I tried to get a picture and was both too slow... and have a camera that just could not get close enough... in the depth of field to show something so small.

I would like to know all possible ideas. I am concerned if it is something that could attack any of my corals... or future fish.

DanSreef

Premium member
Thanks Eric. Looks like some sort of Isopod; either a Sphaeromitid or a Zuzara venosa and hopefully not one of the other more nasty varieties. What concerns me is the potential that it is a parasitic isopod...If so… they will attack and end up killing fish inhabitants. So far, it has not bothered the baby onyx clowns. I will hopefully see it again…and get a better picture of it.

Here is a resource I used for the id thus far: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/

poidog

That's the little buggers. Some are fine, just but ugly, others like you said are parasitic. I'd pull them put as you see them.