Flat worm exit

Bowhunter4250

So on Sunday I treated my tank for a bad problem with red planera flat worms .. I have a total water volume of approx. 260 gallons
I used the whole bottle from advice from many trusted reefers .
Sucked out as many as I could be often and after , a few hours later I noticed most of my SPS turned a reddish brown , lost a large colony of red dragon and a few frags of other high end pieces .

Lost a green chromis and most other fish are really stressed ?
Now that night I changed 55 gallons of water and 2 sleeves of carbon , yesterday I changed carbon again and did a 30 gallon water change , tomorrow I will do another 55 gallons and carbon..

Anyone have this happen ? Will the reddish brown SPS come back ? Keep lights off etc.... ??

Thanks

madjoe

Premium member
Never used that stuff before but as long as sps aint white always a chance to color back up . Issue with doing full dose is a heavy die off of those thing from what ive read release toxins u kinda want to kill em slow depending on infestation . Best to suck as many as u can out treat half dose suck out dead ones treat again and battle it over time nit over night. Again never had the issue but i read up on all just in case and putting all info together this seemmed to be best option

madjoe

Premium member
Thanks man ! Not sure if I should keep lights off to not stress out SPS any more ?
Idk id think lights out would stress more just because its a change from there norm i could be wrong though if anything maybe just dim them aome if u can . My guesa they changed from water quality going to hell from worms dieing and releasing some kind of toxin

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
MJ gave some good advice. I've done this in the past and I dosed slowly until I started seeing the worms slowly die. Then you can siphon them off as they start twitching with a piece of rigid tubing connected to some airline tube. It is a slow process but it beats killing them all off at once and poisoning the tank.

Sorry to hear about this. Seems like if you didn't have bad luck you would have any luck at all, lately!

I have a small colony of CITR RD so let me know if you're looking to replace yours.

7Hogwarts

Premium member
I have used Flatworm exit before, worked great for me. But then again, I followed the label instructions. I had heard horror stories on overdosing.

Bowhunter4250

MJ gave some good advice. I've done this in the past and I dosed slowly until I started seeing the worms slowly die. Then you can siphon them off as they start twitching with a piece of rigid tubing connected to some airline tube. It is a slow process but it beats killing them all off at once and poisoning the tank.

Sorry to hear about this. Seems like if you didn't have bad luck you would have any luck at all, lately!

I have a small colony of CITR RD so let me know if you're looking to replace yours.
Thanks so much !! I really Appreciate it ! Things are still really brown but do have some polyp extension so I'm hoping with increased lighting time they will pull thru ? Lost some really nice pieces tho in the process ...

Bowhunter4250

I have used Flatworm exit before, worked great for me. But then again, I followed the label instructions. I had heard horror stories on overdosing.
I followed them as well , I have about 260 gal. Of water and a whole bottle treats 300 ? Sucked them out before and after but I'm sure I missed a bunch behind the rocks ?

7Hogwarts

Premium member
If your tank is 260 gallons of water and a bottle treats 300 gallons, then you have overdosed by slightly over 15 percent. I work with chemicals for a living. A 15 percent miscalculation can be devastating. Would you raise or lower your calcium, alk, or salinity by 15%?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
From everything I've read, FWE issues are from the die off and not the actual FWE.

I have about 260 gallons too and treated with a whole bottle with no issues. My flatworm population was tiny though.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
When I used FWE I used the rigid tubing to suck them out as they died. I even tried reaching into the areas I couldn't see. As I removed 5G of water I would replace it with fresh SW; did that 3 or 4 times then ran the carbon. I don't know if you overdosed bc the label even recommends it if you don't immediately see them dying. Good Luck;I hope your SPS recovers.

7Hogwarts

Premium member
From everything I've read, FWE issues are from the die off and not the actual FWE.

I have about 260 gallons too and treated with a whole bottle with no issues. My flatworm population was tiny though.
I seem to recall that the toxicity from the flatworms dying off can be quite detrimental as well. (kind of like a sea cucumber eviscerating) But, as always follow the label directions.