Fluconazole vs Bryopsis

bulldog0407

Premium member
I have been reading a lot about Fluconazole being a very effective treatment for Bryopsis, that was not harmful to fish and coral. In my previous nano I had this problem and I have seen it pop up in my larger aquarium. In the past Tech M used to be able to do the trick, but it is not effective anymore since they changed the formula.

I am going to order some and see how it goes. My problem is not anything drastic as some of the people are saying theirs is, but would be nice to find a permanent fix! Here is the link that I followed.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2622044

https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html

Irsug1

Premium member
That's correct. Took the skimmer offline and sock. After 2 weeks I dosed a second time. 30 days later all gah gone.
No water changes during that time. I dosed nopox.

Irsug1

Premium member
No, it doesn't work on bubble algae.
I think vibrant aquarium cleaner might help though, look into that.

bulldog0407

Premium member
Okay so I am on Day 7 and I can attest that this is amazing. On the sections where I was starting to see significant growth, I would say 80% of it is gone. Receding is the best description of what I have seen. First on Days 1 - 3 not a lot of change, but I noticed the tips starting to turn white. Day 4 the larger clumps started to thin, and Days 5 - 7 it is starting to recede/disappear. I forgot to take a picture Day 1, but I will have a Day 7 and a Day 14, which is the end of the treatment. So far I would say that it is going great.

ninjamyst

Premium member
starting treatment this week for my nano tank. have GHA or bryopsis that keeps coming back despite lots and lots of water change. wish me luck!

xj_matt

Premium member
I'm one weekend and I have not seen a big change at all I'm able to pull it off the rock now that's about it

xj_matt

Premium member
I did not see a huge change until like day 7-10. Did you turn off your Skimmer and remove your filter scocks?
I took the skimmer cup off and pulled carbon, didn't know I had to pull my sock too....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mjl714

I'm just completed eight days of treatment, definite improvement (gha and bryopsis) but still some more improvement expected.

goatous

I took the skimmer cup off and pulled carbon, didn't know I had to pull my sock too....
I left my socks in. Turned the skimmer off. Removed carbon.

I'm on day 6 and bryopsis is MIA, though I had very little to start with...

I wouldn't think the socks could remove the Fluconazole.
The chemical structure fluconazole is absolutely tiny compared to the pores on a filter sock and it should go right through... unless it binds to something that is big enough to get caught by the sock.

I checked the wikipedia page and it does bind to blood plasma proteins, but that doesn't necessarily mean much in a marine system.

If it is binding to something in the sock similar to what it does in plasma, it would likely bind/release in a equilibrium state, meaning it wouldn't be continuously absorbed by the sock until it's all gone.

Hard to say for sure without measuring the concentrations in the tank w/ and w/o socks.

Source; I work in new drug development.