Flying Turkey's New Reef

Hi all!

This is my first attempt at a salt water aquarium. I've been doing research for months and months, and I finally decided the time was right. So I bought a 50 gallon rimless cube from SC Aquariums. For $589 shipped, it came with a stand, 20 gallon sump, return pump, protein skimmer and all the plumbing. It shipped quickly through a freight company. It was at my door in 4 days coming from Southern California. It came in two boxes on a pallet, and the freight truck driver was nice enough to place the pallet in my garage. Here are a few pics...

It was very well packed and not a scratch on a anything:

The stand came unassembled and is made of MDF, but the panels are very thick and sturdy:

I put it all together put tap water in it and tested everything out for 4 days, then I drained out the water. And it sat empty for a few weeks while I bought everything I needed. I bought a Jebao WP25, a JBJ ATO, a Purely H2O RO/DI filter, a couple of Brute 20 gallon trash cans for mixing salt water and for RO/DI storage, a couple of heaters and additional pumps for my ATO, and for mixing salt water. Then I got a Reef Radiance Lumentek Pro 120 LED light. I got a Milwaukee digital refractometer, a couple test kits, Red Sea salt, 50 lbs dry rock from Reef Cleaners, 80 lbs dry sand from Marco Rocks, and an additional 40 lbs Fiji pink live sand for my 4" DSB. I also bought 10 lbs of live rock from Gulf Live Rock, which is arriving today. I'll use that to seed the dry rock and start the cycle.

Here are a few pics of the tank with salt water in it and the aquascape complete:

More updates and pics when I get the live rock in the tank.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Congrats! It's nice to see someone new to the hobby jump right in and buy everything they need right off the start. It looks like you've done a lot of research before even buying anything. Nice work.

However, I can't see your photos for some reason.

SkullV

Looks great! Those SCAquariums kits looked like a great value when I was looking at their other items during my skimmer purchase.

WOW & WELCOME !!!!! very cool set-up and the Aquascape looks nice , my Ray would have a ball in that sand :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Siebo

Premium member
awesome start and +1 for buying what you need right out of the gate. (I wish I would have!)

Looking forward to it taking shape.

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

My 10 lbs of GulfLiveRock.com live rock arrived yesterday!

This stuff is full of life! Lots of coralline algae, sponge, halimeda algae even a clam. I found there hitch hikers that didn't survive the two day trip to my house...

Here are some rock pics...

I'm cycling with the die-off from this rock. Started last night. I checked this morning and my skimmer is already starting to produce some light brown colored foam. We'll see how it goes!

A few more pics...

I still haven't figured out good placement for the Jebao WP25. I think it just might be too strong for my 24"x24"x20" cube.

SkullV

Wow, that is some super seasoned rock! I don't know a whole lot about the Jebao pumps, but with such a concentrated tunze-like flow you may be better off selling it and getting 2x WP10 for some cross flow.

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

My 10 lbs of GulfLiveRock.com live rock arrived yesterday!

This stuff is full of life! Lots of coralline algae, sponge, halimeda algae even a clam. I found there hitch hikers that didn't survive the two day trip to my house...

Here are some rock pics...

I'm cycling with the die-off from this rock. Started last night. I checked this morning and my skimmer is already starting to produce some light brown colored foam. We'll see how it goes!

ROCK looks great going to get an order in today to Gulf Live Rock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Siebo

Premium member
I assume you know that you can cut it down to 50% power right on the controller. At that rate I would don't think it would be to much if your plan is to keep SPS. You would need to position of some of the softies or LPS in a flow blocked area. However, in a 50 gal tank I think you are going to need 2 powerheads to avoid dead spots. I would get one more 25 or 2 wp10's and put one in each corner of the back wall pointed at the opposite corner in the front. That is ball park 33" to the opposite corner. I run two 25's at 100% on a 65g - 36" tank.

I assume you know that you can cut it down to 50% power right on the controller. At that rate I would don't think it would be to much if your plan is to keep SPS. You would need to position of some of the softies or LPS in a flow blocked area. However, in a 50 gal tank I think you are going to need 2 powerheads to avoid dead spots. I would get one more 25 or 2 wp10's and put one in each corner of the back wall pointed at the opposite corner in the front. That is ball park 33" to the opposite corner. I run two 25's at 100% on a 65g - 36" tank.
Absolutely, I have the power dialed down to 50%, running on "else" mode. I have high flow, but I do see some low flow areas, mostly in the back corners. I may switch to twin WP10's like you suggest. The budget won't allow that just yet though.

After 3 full days of cycling here are the latest parameters:

Salinity: 1.023
Temp: 78
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 2.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 0.0 ppm

Is it unusual to see nitrite so early in the cycle?

So far no evidence of pests.

SkullV

Nope not unusual with good quality live rock. The bacteria to process the ammonia is already there. Just needs to multiply now since you essentially dropped a huge bioload in the tank all at once in the form of live rock die off.