Fragging

Mpdan

Premium member
I have never fragged anything. I was thinking of trying to frag some zoas that have taken off pretty well in the tank. Can I frag them in the tank? I don't want to have to pull out half of the rock work just to try it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bryman

If fragging zoas and other palys, don't have any open cuts and better yet wear gloves and eye protection. They contain a toxin called palytoxin. I got poisoned before from accidentally squishing some with an open cut on my hand. I had flu-like symptoms pretty bad for about 3 days afterwards. Most will never have this happen - I am just extremely unlucky ;)

Mpdan

Premium member
Thank you I will try to get a piece of the rock off. I have been hesitant to frag the because of the toxin lol. I have gloves and glasses, thank you. Made this little frag rack today.

Cubano32

Premium member
If you make enough frags let me know if you are trying to get rid of some I'll take like two frags

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GugsJr

TeamCR
If fragging zoas and other palys, don't have any open cuts and better yet wear gloves and eye protection. They contain a toxin called palytoxin. I got poisoned before from accidentally squishing some with an open cut on my hand. I had flu-like symptoms pretty bad for about 3 days afterwards. Most will never have this happen - I am just extremely unlucky ;)
This just happened to the guy i buy frags from in Colorado. Getting ready for a frag swap he started cutting zoas with out gloves and didn't realize he had a cut on his hand.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bryman

This just happened to the guy i buy frags from in Colorado. Getting ready for a frag swap he started cutting zoas with out gloves and didn't realize he had a cut on his hand.

I was very close to going to the hospital myself. It was serious enough for me to decide never to keep palys and zoas again. But I think as long as you take precautions you should be fine.

GugsJr

TeamCR
I was very close to going to the hospital myself. It was serious enough for me to decide never to keep palys and zoas again. But I think as long as you take precautions you should be fine.
Yea, he said he felt woozy and has a head ache today.

Mpdan

Premium member
I'm going to give it a go tomorrow gloves and glasses. I'll let you know how it goes.

madjoe

Premium member
I have never fragged anything. I was thinking of trying to frag some zoas that have taken off pretty well in the tank. Can I frag them in the tank? I don't want to have to pull out half of the rock work just to try it.

Best way i found was glueing pieces of rubble in the middle of them and letting them grow over the pull the rubble off . Kinda like that nub sticking up on yours you can cut that off easy and bam u have a frag

Mpdan

Premium member
I thought about that but I kind of like the way it grows up there. I might try to glue some rubble around it.

Mpdan

Premium member
Ok well I got 4 heads off of the rock. I hope they make it. 1 piece of green Monti that came off of my overflow also.

Last edited:

Mpdan

Premium member
Hard to get a good picture but 1 of the frags both polyps are open the other 1 is partially open

Easiest way to create frags of Zoa’s is to glue a frag plug next to them. They will quickly spread to the plug and then just pull the plug off. No destroying your rock or ticking off the zoas. Works well with all encrusting monti too.

Mpdan

Premium member
Well unfortunately the frags didn't survive. I guess I will be gluing some rubble in the area and waiting for them to grow onto the pieces. They looked ok for a few day and then closed up. Gone today.