Frags in sump?

DAS212

I'm considering having Brett from zero edge aquarium build me a custom sump and stand for my oceanic illuminata. The return pump will be in the center with a chamber on the left for the skimmer and a chamber on the right for chaeto and a fuge. I will plumb the overflow into each side respectively. Now I'm breaking down a nano tank with a AI nano led and am considering keeping the AI nano and using it to grow chaeto and throwing a few frag racks down there to save display space. I know Ben (Funlad) did something similar to this but his frag tank was separate if I remember correctly. In any event has anyone done this? Are there potential problems I am over looking? Thanks

- Dave

Joe5688

I've always wanted to do it too. I dont see why if u have the space/light it wouldn't work. I may still try it. I have a really big fuge area in my sump lol

ColaAddict

Problem depends on how you run your system. My sump parameters are always changing. The heater is in the sump, so temp in the sump sometimes gets alot warmer than the display tank when the heater turns on. I do 2 part dosing into my sump/fuge, so calc and alk are always changing in the sump. That kind of environment will kill alot of corals.

Coral cat

I never wanted to put frags in my sump. I always encouraged the sump to grow algae so I didn't want to endanger the frags. Instead I made a rack in the tank behind the rock structure

DAS212

Will putting frags in the fuge cause mor algae growth than in the display? And I dose into my main display with a slow drip method

Funlad3

I'd skip the fuge all together and just turn it into a mini-frag compartment. I have yet to see any quantifiable benefit to my fuge, and if I weren't so lazy, I'd turn it into another frag area. :D

DAS212

I'd skip the fuge all together and just turn it into a mini-frag compartment. I have yet to see any quantifiable benefit to my fuge, and if I weren't so lazy, I'd turn it into another frag area. :D
I've got an in tank refugium right now until I get the new sump and it sucks I want to take it out but it's supplying delicious pods for my mandarin