Frameless 40b SPS build

Joe Lydon

I haven't really felt like I had a "build" worthy thread, until this one.. I'm pretty excited with the way it's turning out. I had a 40b up for sale, that I decided to convert into an SPS only setup. I started with removing the frame, resealing the visible silicone seams with black, and now I'm building the stand.

This was in the for sale ad.

Which turned into this..

Silicone seams cleaned up.. Looks like an acrylic tank!

Black silicone finished.. All visible lines were taped.

Stand frame started...

Started wrapping it, but ran out of 1x8's to finish the top side rails.

Things to finish tomorrow - Lay down the 3/4" plywood and 1/4" foam for the tank to seat on. Install sump floor. Finish wrapping the stand.

MMreef

Looks great !!! Are you sure it will not bust? Those frames were there for a reason. How thick is the glass?

Joe Lydon

Looks great !!! Are you sure it will not bust? Those frames were there for a reason. How thick is the glass?
The top frame isn't load bearing, and as long as I can get the weight to sit evenly with no stress points, it should be Ok without the frame on bottom. Silicone holds the tank together. This tank comes stock without a center brace. Time will tell! =)

Tgunz127

I thought about doing this before but couldn't trust it not to bust... I hope it works out .. Ill be following along

Joe5688

The top frame isn't load bearing, and as long as I can get the weight to sit evenly with no stress points, it should be Ok without the frame on bottom. Silicone holds the tank together. This tank comes stock without a center brace. Time will tell! =)
Looks awesome. Just a suggestion. Build a raised frame around the tank for the tank to sit in. It'll give it a clean look and add strength.to the bottom around the seams. Id really be worried about the tank busting though.

Good luck!

Joe Lydon

Thanks Everyone! I'm not so worried about seam failure, as I am the bottom pane cracking. Worst case scenario, 40 gallons of water end up on my garage floor. This tank will be test running with powerheads for quite some time, before it comes into the house!

CoralPharmD

That tank looks great without the rims! I really hope this works out for you as a bunch of people have started building 40Bs lately and may be interested in doing the same. Good Luck!!!

brianspider

That tank looks great without the rims! I really hope this works out for you as a bunch of people have started building 40Bs lately and may be interested in doing the same. Good Luck!!!
Haha, funny you say that. My thread isn't even up yet, and my project is about to get wet. Or was until I saw this thread..now considering taking the top rim off my 40b

Funlad3

Joe, you're fine. Trust me. The glass won't be going anywhere, and you can put the tank on some pink foam or something to keep the pressure on the bottom constant.

What silicone did you use? GE Window and Door Black?

Joe5688

What u gonna use for flow? If u read the owners manual for vortechs it says they are not responsible for seam blow outs on wave mode. I could see this being a possibility lol

Joe Lydon

Joe, you're fine. Trust me. The glass won't be going anywhere, and you can put the tank on some pink foam or something to keep the pressure on the bottom constant.

What silicone did you use? GE Window and Door Black?
I trust you! :)

DAP window/door/molding/gutter/siding 50yr durability warranty.

What u gonna use for flow? If u read the owners manual for vortechs it says they are not responsible for seam blow outs on wave mode. I could see this being a possibility lol
MP40, but I don't want a wave. I just want the MP40 because it doesn't take up space and looks clean.