fred's 20long

fredfish13

well, I just wanted to post pics of my tank, been lurking and researching since summer. A little background first. Have been into fish for 30 years on and off, all FW. Had 4 tanks running at one time and just decided to go down to one. Usual sizes-75, 55, 29, and 20. Sold all of them and put up a 125 with frontosas, calvus, comps, and petricola. Here is a pic of that tank. The fish are still small. Fronts get be around 8-15". They are around 5" now.

Loved saltwater but thought it would be too much money and time. After researching some more and finding a few good websites, I jumped in. Had an extra 20 long laying around, some conduit, wood, paint, heater, pumps, and AC70.

fredfish13

I made a stand, painted back of tank black, diy'ed my AC70 to be a refugium with a little surface skimmer, and bent some conduit to hold the light. Went ahead and ordered some dry rock from BRS, got a couple bags of sand from LFS, ordered the aquaticlife 4x24 T-5, MP10, Avastmarine ATO, and BRS RO/DI system. Got a cup of LS and a piece of cured LR from a member to start the cycle. Water was officially put in around 1st week in October. Using Seachem salt at 1.025. Have a refractometer and using API Saltwater tests. The first week saw spikes in Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. Then went on vacation for a week around Thanksgiving. Tested again when I came back and 0's on ammonia and trites. Got a CUC from reefcleaners also. The snails were awesome. Found this crab in the order and talked to John. He said not good so he went. Here are a couple pics.

fredfish13

Plan on keeping this simple. Don't really want a skimmer yet. Doing 10% WC weekly. Plan on keeping softies and LPS in here first. Livestock as of today are one YWG and one purple firefish. Maybe adding one clown in a few weeks. Got some zoa, palys, gsp, acan, shroom, and favia in there right now. Will see which grow well in the next month. Here are some other pics.

fredfish13

thanks, jeppun. The pictures are a few weeks old. the last post are ones i took in the last few days. My stocking for now are the YWG, Purple firefish, acan, favia, gsp, zoa, paly, mushroom and a candy cane. All the corals looking fine right now and waiting to see which ones grow better than others. Will wait for a couple weeks to add anything new. Just want corals that will work with my system. Love to have a tank full of zoas and palys and maybe a couple of LPS. Will try to add a FTS in the next week.

Jep21

Love the pick of the YWG...lol I want one!! Tank looks great.. keep us posted on how this is going..

jeff

fredfish13

got them in the spring when they were about 3 inches. Biggest one is about 6". have 10 of them. in about a year, i plan on venting them and getting rid of all the males except two. they get 12"-15" I am told.

fredfish13

ok, so it's been about a year for the tank and it is still up and running. livestock is a pair of fudge-glazed clowns, six-line, cleaner shrimp, some red-legged and blue-legged and snails. have a 65g waiting for the upgrade, just been too busy. here are some recent pics.