Frostbite Clown Babies (seeking local live rotifer source)

100LL

I understand that this can be difficult to learn how to do successfully, and I have located several great information sources online, but my wife and kids are up for the challenge...

That being said, our SA Frostbite Clown pair has been laying eggs consistently and we have gotten really good at removing the living fry from the DT. The time has now come where she would like to take ownership and raise a clutch.

I've told her that the success low but that I would support her efforts...

So, with the next batch hatching tonight (more will follow) I am looking to find if there are any local hobbyists with a live rotifer culture that are willing to sell, source or mentor us.

Let me know.

Brian

1fishjones

Premium member
Aqua Pros in Glen Ellen usually has them available, though you may want to call ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100LL

UPDATE: Eggs hatched and are being fed what were sold to me as live rotifers (though I honestly can't see anything swimming around ) but I am NOT feeling confident about this round.

As I told my wife, this process is sure to be a journey in which we will learn a lot, together.

Although we will take all the help we can get, more challenge will bring more satisfaction if we ever do have success.

Brian

100LL

I can help out with rotifers and suggestions. You can call or text me if you still have my number
Thanks, Tom. That would be awesome. By the way, you are way overdue for a publicly voiced thank you. A giant thank you for the countless times you have answered my random questions.
You have been very generous with your time and assistance and the many pairs of clowns I have gotten from you are all doing great. I have nothing but the highest regard for how you conduct your business and I appreciate your friendship and offer to help us along our journey.

100LL

UPDATE: As of this morning many of the fry are still alive but without a reliable and renewable rotifer culture I am not expecting this maiden attempt to work out very well.

The original plan several weeks ago was to start cultivating my own rotifer colony but since I only planned on raising one clutch of fry and having misunderstood the availability of rotifers locally I made the now obviously wrong decision to set aside some cash and gas money and make daily trips to the LFS for the millions of rotifers I would need for the first few weeks of this adventure. I will chalk this up to another lesson learned.

xj_matt

Premium member
UPDATE: As of this morning many of the fry are still alive but without a reliable and renewable rotifer culture I am not expecting this maiden attempt to work out very well.

The original plan several weeks ago was to start cultivating my own rotifer colony but since I only planned on raising one clutch of fry and having misunderstood the availability of rotifers locally I made the now obviously wrong decision to set aside some cash and gas money and make daily trips to the LFS for the millions of rotifers I would need for the first few weeks of this adventure. I will chalk this up to another lesson learned.
I sware that beyond the reef cares them I would call and ask,

superfish

I understand that this can be difficult to learn how to do successfully, and I have located several great information sources online, but my wife and kids are up for the challenge...

That being said, our SA Frostbite Clown pair has been laying eggs consistently and we have gotten really good at removing the living fry from the DT. The time has now come where she would like to take ownership and raise a clutch.

I've told her that the success low but that I would support her efforts...

So, with the next batch hatching tonight (more will follow) I am looking to find if there are any local hobbyists with a live rotifer culture that are willing to sell, source or mentor us.

Let me know.

Brian
I have some. Text/ call me at 630 880 5428

Ageno

Premium member
beyond the reef has them on tap! for real.. they actually have a tap handle ! and a guy on CL has that i saw