Fuge/ sump lighting

bennyblanco

Hi - quick question!

What is everyone using to light their sumps? I'm using a small coralife fixture but it's beat up so I'm looking to replace it. I'm just growing some macro.
Thanks!
Brett

jpski25

I used a cheapo Home Depot clip light (like $5) with a CF spiral grow light and grew cheatoand macro's like mad!!! Whole thing cost me like $20

bennyblanco

T5's and spiral CF for turf scrubber for me ... how about a DYI LED - keep the heat down
That's not a bad idea either! Have you been playing around with any LEDs?
In a few more weeks we can have a play date with kids! How is the guy doing! Enjoying the reef?

Spoofer

I haven't built any LED' s yet but I was thinking about it prior to the turf scrubber. Graham is doing awesome- getting nervous yet?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I use the Innovative Marine Skkye Light 6 Watt 6,500K LED and I leave it on all day and night. It keeps my chaeto growing like mad. It's all I have ever used.

FishBeard

Really? You run it 24/7? I usually have my sump/fuge light come on only when my display tanks turn off at night.

thanks for the reply guys!
Why not? Leave it running during the day so the macro keeps consuming nutrients. I haven't had to scrape algae off my new display tank glass in like 2 weeks. I was scraping every other or 3rd day until I decided to leave it on permanently.

bennyblanco

Why not? Leave it running during the day so the macro keeps consuming nutrients. I haven't had to scrape algae off my new display tank glass in like 2 weeks. I was scraping every other or 3rd day until I decided to leave it on permanently.
I'm not sure why I've always done that. I guess I thought it was done to avoid a PH swing. I'll make the switch and start running 24/7. Thanks for the info!

FishBeard

I'm not sure why I've always done that. I guess I thought it was done to avoid a PH swing. I'll make the switch and start running 24/7. Thanks for the info!
I'm not sure I buy into the whole pH swing thing. My ph was no more stable during the "night" cycle between days when I had the fuge light alternating with the daytime lights. I will see 8.2-8.3 daily by late afternoon, and like clockwork will drop below 8 before bed regardless if the fuge was alternating or always on, I saw a maintenance benefit leaving it on all day so that was my deciding factor.

bennyblanco

I'm not sure I buy into the whole pH swing thing. My ph was no more stable during the "night" cycle between days when I had the fuge light alternating with the daytime lights. I will see 8.2-8.3 daily by late afternoon, and like clockwork will drop below 8 before bed regardless if the fuge was alternating or always on, I saw a maintenance benefit leaving it on all day so that was my deciding factor.
That's good to know. I'll start playing around with it. I use an ATO with Kalk which most of the top-off is being added during the day when evaporation is the highest. I wonder if that will cause my PH to spike at all.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
I leave my fuge on 24-7.. I use my RKL to control my kalk ATO & PH..

Im not a big fan of using the float switch with Kalk.. I control mine with a timer to turn on every hour for 1min & 20 seconds with an alert of PH at 8.4 to turn off my aqua lifter. Using my RKL

Also have for back up incase evaporation is to much is my 1gal slim container from BRS controlled with a float switch..

But I don't chase PH, this will make u go crazy :screwy: But nice to have IMO

bennyblanco

I've been using the ATO for the last couple of years but I've heard some horror stories with using them as well. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a controller. I've been squeaking by without one.

FishBeard

Reefkeeper + aqua lifter + 10g glass tank for me, used to have a 2.5g plastic container from Walmart for the old tank, new one would go thru that in 2 days. Now Im back to about a week of topoff reserve. Next step is moving the rodi into the laundry room behind the tank and running a supply line to refill topoff once a week. One of these days I may try a float switch kit for the reefkeeper to control the aqua lifter, but I hear a lot of stories of failing floats and I'd prefer to avoid any disasters

Lil BamBam

Premium member
I've been using the ATO for the last couple of years but I've heard some horror stories with using them as well. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a controller. I've been squeaking by without one.
Time to sell some corals ;) This is a good investment.. Will avoid the common erros caused by EQUIPMENT and safe your tank