Fwadivers no 80 gal shallow reef

fwadiver

its just the 75gpd brs unit, i had a 5 stage, but recently bought a dual di canister making it 6 stage. I dont like the smell of the rock vats at RW, its just as easy to cook it in a brute, i have a old 150W heater in there and a koralia 1500 and a mj1200 for flow. tank is now about half way full. using instant ocean because i'm cheap today, i'm sure i'm going to regret that later, will fix the chemistry later, all my test kits are at the old place.

GBeck87

Butthole pics rofl! fill that baby up lets see some good pics! the tank is sweet but like cola said cut that bad boy is half and make it 2 pcs, Its huge!!!!

fwadiver

almost there, did a dumb thing and dumped a whole bottle of alkaline 8.3 in the tank without measuring first thinking it needed it since it was just instant ocean, now water is cloudy, gonna have to check mag and bring that up i suspect.

ColaAddict

Dont need to bring anything up with instant ocean. Mag and alk and calc are perfect IMO with IO. You always want to start with IO and then do your water changes with reef salt once elements are being used up by corals. But dont dose anything in the beginning.

I did the same with starting with Instant Ocean until my tank demands grew. Then I switched to Reef Crystals. I used the remaining IO for my QT tanks.

fwadiver

hit a roadblock, ceiling is concrete and i cant just tick a couple anchors up there to hang the light, going to have to do a wall hung solution

Joe5688

Get a ramset and shoot a couple 2-3" nails into the concrete. Bend em over and proceed with hangings. If u were closer id let u borrow mine.

fwadiver

dumped in a bottle of kent tech m and some TLF c balance. Going to mix up the brs 2 part today.

params are now
calcium 320
mag 1200
alk 11.5dkh

which should be good enough to start, was at the old apt and noticed half dozen hermits still kicking around, rescued them flushed them with fresh tank water several times and now they are in the tank. Light should get hung tonight, then i need to work on hooking up the reef angel again and coming up with the new program. skimmer is in and blowing bubbles.

fwadiver

of course i forgot to pick up a 3/4 slip to fpt adapter while i was at the hardware store... going back tommorow but eff i am tired!