Gary's 29g NanoCube

Gary

On Black Friday I decided to buy an aquarium. Been out of the hobby for awhile. Here's some pics.

At the moment it's a HQI Model but I already ordered some LED's for a DIY Kit.

Here it is testing out how it would fair in the corner of the hallway opening into my living room. I live downtown in a high rise so "space" is not plentiful.

Added 15lbs of sand.

Still adding water and light is on.

MH Still warming up.

Lights appear to be fully on. Did my rock work tonight.

Gary

So now I need to get a Reef Keeper Lite, MP10, RODI, and install my LED's when they come in. Then I should be set. :)

lunacris

i agree that tank will be great with no stock lol its a given but had to do it getting it done right the first time nice

Herbie

Banned
You're just about 3 weeks behind me on nearly the same tank Gary (my first SW). I might humbly suggest zip tying all of the lift pump tubing as both of my pumps disassembled themselves after two or three days. (I lost one of the elbows in the outflow chamber for about an hour). Congratulations and I am sure you will find this forum as useful and edifying as I have.

Gary

You're just about 3 weeks behind me on nearly the same tank Gary (my first SW). I might humbly suggest zip tying all of the lift pump tubing as both of my pumps disassembled themselves after two or three days. (I lost one of the elbows in the outflow chamber for about an hour). Congratulations and I am sure you will find this forum as useful and edifying as I have.
I'd love to see par numbers on your led fixture.

Herbie

Banned
I'd love to see par numbers on your led fixture.
So would I. Those meters are about $100, right? I can tell you without any scientific proof that it is like opening up the sun when you tilt the cover with all the lights on. I had a party for my kid and stopped the room dead when I opened it up (Like the Ark of the Cevenant or something).

Gary

Nah, but I think one of the members is getting it and you can "rent" it from him. I'm looking to probably do it if he still moves forward with that. I got my custom led's into today. Gotta mount them and wire them up still.

Gary

So I got my kit in yesterday.

Unboxing

It won't fit directly, so I need to do some modding. I decided to take picture hangers and bend, drill, and cut them to a size so that I can use that as "Mounts".

Dremel Cutter

Heat Sink sizing.

Heat sink mounted.

W / B / W / B / W Order. :)

I put a tad bit too much thermal pace on. Cleaned up a bit.

I'll wire it tonight and finalize the wiring through the hood.

Gary

My Optics should be in this week, and my ALC should be in Thursday. So by then, I should be good to go. I'll need a MP10 soon. :)

The reefer

R u sure u need optics with the hood on? I had no optics on my 12 g nano and it was fine. It could work but u might have more spotlighting on certain parts. The build looks good though.

FishBeard

For your PAR, full on, you will have about 750 just under the surface reading center of tank, and about 250-300 at the sand. I have the same kit installed on my 29 gallon BioCube.

And you definitely wont need optics.

Gary

I got them to prevent spillover from the tank, assuming I have some. It cost me 9 bucks so not too worried.

FishBeard

With the lights so close to the water mounted in your hood, using optics will only create spotlighting in the tank. You will not have as much light spillover as you think, or at least, no less than you would have without the optics. Just trying to help as Ive been there, done that. You will see once you have the optics what I am talking about.

HecticZ

Looking good so far, but trust me you're going to hate the placement of the tank in that angle. As you wont be able to see many of the critters on the side of the tank.