Gauging interest: Selling clownfish fry.

Greg

Had a few people ask about this so I figured I'd throw it out there. I have no idea on the feasibility or demand for this so I am just throwing out a feeler.

I am wondering if anyone would like to purchase a batch of clownfish fry and raise them themselves. Either trying to profit, or just doing it for fun like me. They would be from my Snowcasso/Picasso pair linked below.
http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?14241-Snowcasso-Picasso-pair-spawned-D

Obviously, the earlier on, the cheaper you would get them. Cheapest being on hatch night. It would be cash/paypal gift upfront and raising is up to you. If all of them die, I hold no responsibility. This is my first time and about 50% are getting to meta, which is around 75 clowns. As expected, the highest die-off happens in the first 48 hours. I hope to increase this percent as I get better at raising them.

For hatch night price, I was thinking 300. I have no idea if this would be considered too high, too low, or just right.
Price would go up as they age. At meta (day 11), maybe do like 5$ per clown (obviously you have to buy them all, not just a few). Maybe include a little 'starter kit' with rotifers and RG+.

Maybe even find a semipermanent 'partner' that always buys them from me and raises them.

If anyone is interested, please send me a PM.

Thanks
Greg

Funlad3

All that I know is that I'd love a pair once they get to about an inch in size. Or at least a single clown so that I can pair it with one of goat's onyxs.

Good luck raising them Greg, and hopefully you can find a few that are interested in rearing with you!

I wouldn't have the equipment to raise 75, but if a couple months down the road you were willing to do like 20-25 I would possibly be interested.

I would definitely need to read up on how to raise the fry, but it would be something I would be interested in. I just need to get my 75 gallon set up right now first, then I can look into side projects.

DAS212

I had a Picasso and a snow onyx pair I sent to a breeder I had an arrangement with. We were going to split the offspring 50/50 until we hit $2500 for each of us then sit down and decide what to do from there. Both ended up dying, I trusted the guy but you never know. Be careful

Greg

If i found a 'partner' i would ask for like 200 for the fry up front and then thats it. Maybe like an additional 10% of the price of selling fish and just take other guys word. Something that would end up with the other guy making more.

I just wont be able to raise them in my condo, but dont want to sell them.

Joe Lydon

Only problem I see with a partner making guaranteed purchases, is the wait for return on investment. Unless someone has $300 to throw up every 12 days, and can support that until he can start selling babies, I don't see that happen.. and if they've got that kind of disposable cash laying around, I would see them just offering you $ for the parents, or buying their own.

DAS212

This is probably the last thing in the world you want to do but I would personally consider selling them for a few reasons. If you can't raise the fry then the clowns deserve to be with someone who can raise their gorgeous offspring and care for them properly. You will make a fat chunk of change and can get your hands on another exotic pair and start fresh. Plus you might have some cash left over for the aquarium fund. Just tell the breeder you sell them too that your only stipulation is that if he ever decides to get rid of them that he gives you the option to buy them back. Hey, maybe you could even pick a new pair out of their offspring?

Greg

Yah i dunno, just trying to think of other options where i keep the parents but don't raise the fry lol.

I can raise them until about 30 days when they are still in their 10g fry tank, but have no room for larger growout tanks. Even a 40br would be way too large, and with the number of clowns i have, one 40br wouldnt even be enough.

goat585

Administrator
Clownfish larvae can be very delicate and moving post hatch is risky. I would not recommend moving them until they are a least 2-3 weeks old at a minimum. Even then you never know what is going to happen. I have been raising clownfish for 2 years now. I have had entire batches of 200-300 fish die overnight even after meta. If someone wants to try this I would grab the fish as eggs and move them the night of hatch. That will help eliminate some of the risk. I would then hatch them in my larvae tank.

I think your best bet is to sell the eggs or once they are a month old. I have heard from a some guys who have setup business relationships where they will give the eggs to a guy who raises them for them and then expects a percentage. These have all gone very badly from what I heard from the guys. There was always bickering about someone stealing fish, or their not raising enough, why are you killing all of them.

Good luck.

Greg

Yah raising to a month and then finding someone for growout may be the best option.

The original plan was to get them all in a shallow container and then hand off the container with 5g jug of tank water. So the other person can add like 3g tank water to a 10g tank and then place the shallow container into the tank to let them swim out.