Gauging interest: Starting another Chicago area reef club

How do you feel about starting another Chicago reef club?

• I think a new Chicago reef club would be cool

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I prefer CMAS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I could care less about either

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigKev23

So it seems that there are a lot of folks that are tired of the old ways of reef clubs. So I am wondering why can't there be another option?

I figured I would see if there are enough people out there with interest to organize a new club with a fresh start. I don't want to get into details or anything yet... just want to see what people think. Feel free to throw out ideas and suggestions. I am sure this will stir the pot a bit, but I feel like the question needed to be asked.

Don't forget to vote in the poll!!!

Kev

I think it would be a great idea even if thee initial membership fee was a bit higher to join. I'd be open to helping get something off the ground as long as I felt my imput was valued.

jayjigga

It's interesting you bring this up, because I get a call from my boss this morning that CMAS reached out yesterday to see if they could do something for tomorrow. The way CMAS is set up, they no longer have the same relationship as before, so the communication and dedication level has definitely changed. If I wanted a table, we would have done a table, but I'm working my regular job, so no fun-fun for me :p

Now, if there was a different club, or if CR became the club as well, that would be an interesting dynamic. I think that CMAS is losing their old members and not really replacing them with active new ones. They also have a considerable opposition from local reefers, so it's a tough uphill battle. I've been pro-CMAS for a while, but haven't really found a need to log into their forum. I call this home more than RC even.

poidog

Now, if there was a different club, or if CR became the club as well, that would be an interesting dynamic.
Both these situations where tried/pitched about a year ago (when CMAS was imploding) and there were several pre-committee members, and it failed. Also, Mike was not interested making CR affiliated with any club. If you can do it, more power to you, there needs to be something else beside CMAS and get away from the same type of BS people that run it.

jm23

My suggestion would be to start a private poll. Some people might be more willing to answer anonymously, until there are some more solid details about what this other club might look like. (Looks like you already did during the time I spent writing a response)

I live too far away to attend CMAS meetings. I know us south-suburbs and NWI people only make up a smaller portion of the club, but having meetings that were more local would probably get me more involved. In all honesty the only reason I joined CMAS was to get a discount at the last swap. I have seen no other benefits besides this.

In my opinion CR is my reef club. We have leadership on here, we have meetings 24/7 (via chat), we have member run events (aka BBQ coming up), we give advice, we sell and trade, we have sponsors that support us, we pretty much do everything a club does except put together a swap meet (which I think if you coordinated it with the Reptile Show that happens twice a year in Tinley Park you could get some big names to come). If we could work on putting together a swap meet, sponsored by CR, I would no longer see any benefit to being a member there.

P.S. You have inspired me to become a member here.

bryman

This is an interesting question. I used to be a lot more involved with CMAS but had to step back because of increased pressure from my work/home life. I have to say that I don't miss the drama at all, either.

The problems with reef clubs in general IME can be summarized:

- You can't please everyone, and complainers generate a very negative atmosphere even if they are few. The negativity spreads like wildfire whether it's valid or not, and people avoid it (and the club). This is largely what undermined CMAS.

- It's a thankless venture for the leaders, committee members, event volunteers - they are often criticized, but seldom praised. They also have no financial motivation either.

- Little motivation for advanced reefers that already have 99% of the frags/corals they want, and find little value in what the club offers. They want to help others but are tired of the drama.

- People who care more about making money with the "hobby" instead of sharing with their fellow reefers.

I'd love to be part of what a reef club should be ideally. People sharing information, interesting events and seminars, discounts at LFS, friendly get-togethers, etc. However I think the biggest challenge of a club can be the people involved in it and their conflicting personalities and motivations. If you can figure this out, you'll have a successful club.

My suggestion would be to start a private poll. Some people might be more willing to answer anonymously, until there are some more solid details about what this other club might look like. (Looks like you already did during the time I spent writing a response)

I live too far away to attend CMAS meetings. I know us south-suburbs and NWI people only make up a smaller portion of the club, but having meetings that were more local would probably get me more involved. In all honesty the only reason I joined CMAS was to get a discount at the last swap. I have seen no other benefits besides this.

In my opinion CR is my reef club. We have leadership on here, we have meetings 24/7 (via chat), we have member run events (aka BBQ coming up), we give advice, we sell and trade, we have sponsors that support us, we pretty much do everything a club does except put together a swap meet (which I think if you coordinated it with the Reptile Show that happens twice a year in Tinley Park you could get some big names to come). If we could work on putting together a swap meet, sponsored by CR, I would no longer see any benefit to being a member there.

P.S. You have inspired me to become a member here.
Awesome feedback and ideas!!!

This is an interesting question. I used to be a lot more involved with CMAS but had to step back because of increased pressure from my work/home life. I have to say that I don't miss the drama at all, either.

- You can't please everyone, and complainers generate a very negative atmosphere even if they are few. The negativity spreads like wildfire whether it's valid or not, and people avoid it (and the club). This is largely what undermined CMAS.

- It's a thankless venture for the leaders, committee members, event volunteers - they are often criticized, but seldom praised. They also have no financial motivation either.

- Little motivation for advanced reefers that already have 99% of the frags/corals they want, and find little value in what the club offers. They want to help others but are tired of the drama.

- People who care more about making money with the "hobby" instead of sharing with their fellow reefers.

I'd love to be part of what a reef club should be ideally. People sharing information, interesting events and seminars, discounts at LFS, friendly get-togethers, etc. However I think the biggest challenge of a club can be the people involved in it and their conflicting personalities and motivations. If you can figure this out, you'll have a successful club.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The key is keeping everyone at all levels of the hobby engaged and to value everyone's opinion and definitely not making someone feel like an idiot.

BigKev23

Loving the feedback so far... keep it coming. With enough people coming together with great ideas, I think this could start to take shape.

poidog

Make sure you have someone who is a lawyer on the planning of the club so you save $ of them drafting up all the legal stuff. I think when it was considered a year ago it was $1200-$1500 in all the state/IRS filing fees, so you'll need "founding members" who are willing to put up the cash to start it.

jayjigga

Make sure you have someone who is a lawyer on the planning of the club so you save $ of them drafting up all the legal stuff. I think when it was considered a year ago it was $1200-$1500 in all the state/IRS filing fees, so you'll need "founding members" who are willing to put up the cash to start it.
Know a guy?? ;) Haha...he's reading this for sure...

The main issues with clubs is once they get large, they become very hard to keep organized. I belong to a different reef club and everything about it has been great. We meet once a month, everyone gives helpful advice, the veterans help out the noobs, and people are a part of it because they enjoy it and want to spread the hobby. And members care about helping other members, with money being a side thing.

The leaders do what they do because they have a good time, the club in general is more of a social club, with reefing on the side.

If the size of CR became another club like this, I would be super happy. I've really enjoyed both CR and my local club, and the expanded size of CR would make an even better club.

FishBeard

It's interesting you bring this up, because I get a call from my boss this morning that CMAS reached out yesterday to see if they could do something for tomorrow. The way CMAS is set up, they no longer have the same relationship as before, so the communication and dedication level has definitely changed. If I wanted a table, we would have done a table, but I'm working my regular job, so no fun-fun for me :p.
It's interesting you bring this up, seeing how you were well aware I was being dodged by Mike for nearly 3 weeks trying to make contact with him when the swap was announced so we could set up the fragging class he has provided at past events. I certainly did not just pick up the phone 2 days before the swap and ask him if he wanted to be there. LSA made a conscious effort to avoid my attempts at communicating. It's a shame they didn't want to be involved as the cutting class I took years ago was one of the things that really got me into the hobby. It's once again pointing the fingers at CMAS saying we are screwing up. I can't force someone to call me back if they didn't want to.

If someone wants to start another club, best of luck to them.

jayjigga

It's interesting you bring this up, seeing how you were well aware I was being dodged by Mike for nearly 3 weeks trying to make contact with him when the swap was announced so we could set up the fragging class he has provided at past events. I certainly did not just pick up the phone 2 days before the swap and ask him if he wanted to be there. LSA made a conscious effort to avoid my attempts at communicating. It's a shame they didn't want to be involved as the cutting class I took years ago was one of the things that really got me into the hobby. It's once again pointing the fingers at CMAS saying we are screwing up. I can't force someone to call me back if they didn't want to.

If someone wants to start another club, best of luck to them.
Like I said, the relationship is different now, between Mike and CMAS. I don't care to check what you position you hold on CMAS (if any), but things change with changes in organizations, and I don't know what your relationship with Mike is. I know where Mike stands, and it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.