Generators & back up power

pringles

I lost all fish & corals due to the black out last week, I wonder which generator or power back up do you using right now?. I need to buy one , thanks.

DD

"Rambo"
My father runs a natural gas generator for his whole house. You might want to look into one in you own a home.

Basically, if the power goes out, the generator senses the loss of power, then begins to convert natural gas into electricity to power your home.

The units installed can range anywhere from a few thousand, all the way up to 10K, depending on how much electricity you're needing.

Definitely something I'm going to look into when I buy a house. They're not only good for our aquariums, but during storms they'll run you sump pumps so that your house doesn't flood from rising water.

caragol

Jumping in on this, interested in a small generator. I figure if I can run a heater and a powerhead to the fish tank, and the sump pump (to the basement pump, not the aquarium sump) I'd be good. I could just drag it out of my garage in the rain if I needed it and run an extension cord. Wouldn't need too much power, just need to be able to run it off of gas I could run and purchase.

maidia

Team CR
My father runs a natural gas generator for his whole house. You might want to look into one in you own a home.

Basically, if the power goes out, the generator senses the loss of power, then begins to convert natural gas into electricity to power your home.

The units installed can range anywhere from a few thousand, all the way up to 10K, depending on how much electricity you're needing.

Definitely something I'm going to look into when I buy a house. They're not only good for our aquariums, but during storms they'll run you sump pumps so that your house doesn't flood from rising water.
+1 for natural gas generator. I don't have one but the house next to mine has it. The owner has worry free during power out last time. I am going to install one if I still live in this current house.

DD

"Rambo"
+1 for natural gas generator. I don't have one but the house next to mine has it. The owner has worry free during power out last time. I am going to install one if I still live in this current house.
Best part about them is they're silent and you don't need to refill them every hour or so.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
There's a company on Angie's List that has an offer for a 7 kilowatt/ 8 circuit whole house generator. $3800 installed.

I currently have a 1000va, 750watt battery backup on my tank. I know it isn't a permanent solution, especially for long times. But it has kept power going to my main pump and a powerhead for almost 2 hours. I was lucky I had installed it literally like 3 days before we randomly lost power for about 2 hours on a wednesday morning.

For long term solutions, we do own a generator, but it's a normal one.