Genesis' Reef Photography

jm23

The reason I titled it Genesis' instead of jm23's is because that is my user name on the other site I am on. I have debated switching my screen name here, but as this community is already on a first name basis I probably won't. Regardless the signature you will always see on the photos is "Genesis" because of the significance to me that you can find in my signature.

Candy Cane Coral

Candy Cane Coral

Trochus Snail (Foot)

Trochus Snail (Mouth)

Starfish (End of leg)

Starfish (Mouth)

Blue Tuxedo Urchin

Trochus Snail (Mouth and part of foot)

Blue Tuxedo Urchin (Underside while on the glass)

tinman

Amazing pics buddy
Just saw these on the other site :)

What mAcro lens are you using ?? Just curious ... 100 mm ?

adam87

jm23, i'm looking at small Camera's right now and i'm thinking about getting a Panasonic LUMIX ZS25. Do you know if the LUMIX are any good?

jm23

jm23, i'm looking at small Camera's right now and i'm thinking about getting a Panasonic LUMIX ZS25. Do you know if the LUMIX are any good?
A great resource is dpreview.com, but there are many other good resources. I always do a ton of research before I buy anything. Remember there are always bad reviews, but try to understand why someone gave a bad review, is it the product itself or it doesn't fit what the person wanted, and even if it is the product itself was that a one time thing or a consistent theme. Also buying a brand new camera is often more expensive and hasn't been fully tested by the public to know if it is a good quality camera, so buying last years model or a model that has been out for a year is often a better bet. Good luck with your research.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I'm no photographer, but I use a Lumix GF3 and like it. I think it would be a fine camera if I were better at using it. I have a 14 mm pancake lens that makes it pretty small and a 50-175 zoom that I use on my tank. I just use macro filters on the zoom lens and it works pretty well, but I've never captured images as cool as the ones above. The GF3 is a nice smaller alternative to big dslrs. I find myself using my LUMIX much more than my old cannon dslr. Thanks to the a holes that robbed my house and stole it.

Nice work on the pics above. I really like that snail mouth.

jm23

amazing photos where did you pick up that lens
I ordered it from Adorama, but it was on backorder for so long that I cancelled and used Amazon Prime to order. The price is almost the same across all major retailers though.

nice pics ..

i love the fact that you are using Flickr, i can see these pics at work :)
Flickr is great. It allows you to maintain the quality of the photo in your posts. It also is where some amazing photographers post their photos, check out my "Favorites" and prepare to be amazed by those photographers.

rako1

Premium member
Nice pic's I have the 105 on the 5100 body but still learning the camera and taking some nice pic's but a lot of bad ones. What body are you using?

tinman

So do you leave both whites and blues on while taking pics ??

Edit : i meant both blue and white leds.

jm23

Nice pic's I have the 105 on the 5100 body but still learning the camera and taking some nice pic's but a lot of bad ones. What body are you using?
Almost all the above photos were taken with a flash. A flash definitely helps when taking macro, allowing you to increase the shutter speed to help prevent camera shake. For everything but the fish photos, I used a tripod which is also a must. Shoot in raw, make sure your shutter speed is faster then your focal length (ie 105mm macro, shutter speed 100 or faster), keep your ISO low if possible. Remember when shooting with a macro lens that you have to consider focal plane, due to such a narrow depth of field, which is why a lot of macro shots use focus stacking (I haven't touched that yet) and a lot of new photographers wonder why they can't get photos to turn out like focus stacked photos with just a single shot. Have fun, the body of the camera helps, but any DSLR in the last few years is far better than any film camera was.

So do you leave both whites and blues on while taking pics ??

Edit : i meant both blue and white leds.
If I am not using a flash I will manually turn my lights all the way up to 100%, to provide more light. Sometimes I will turn off the whites or keep them at a lower %, but all the above photos were taken with both blue and white LEDs on. I still have to adjust the temp in lightroom to get the right color.

tinman

If I am not using a flash I will manually turn my lights all the way up to 100%, to provide more light. Sometimes I will turn off the whites or keep them at a lower %, but all the above photos were taken with both blue and white LEDs on. I still have to adjust the temp in lightroom to get the right color.
thanks for the info :)