Getting copperband and blue star wrasse to eat

ninjamyst

Premium member
I got a copperband butterfly and female blue star leopard wrasse last Friday. Both are still not eating. I tried Rod's fish eggs, Larry's, and mysis. Wrasse is in my nano tank with one clown fish. She pecks at the food and spits it out. Copperband is in my frag tank and pays no interest to the food. I prazipro the frag tank. Any tips?

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
I read this about Copperband on Live Aquaria:

The Copperband Butterflyfish is a difficult fish to feed; it is a shy and deliberate feeder that may need a variety of foods offered to it in order to start feeding.

Cubano32

Premium member
Try and get some live brine from a LFS that usually tend to help any picky eater

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HecticZ

Try and gut feed the brine shrimp first, but might be the only way to start to get him to eat

I forgot to mention that I also turned off the power heads off in the tank so the brine shrimp doesn’t get sucked into the return too quickly.

Last edited:

rockhead

Both of those fish are very picky eaters, I’ve had both of them before and I found soaking my food in garlic juice from brightwell Aquatics seem to work but I think my blue star went almost 3 weeks before she came out from hiding so she was staving .

Fish_wiz2

Live black worms soaked in a bit of garlic extreme usually did the trick for me with Copperbands, sometimes bribe would work but I was too lazy to gut-load them.

If you need some Coral Reef Pet Centre in Norridge usually carries some.

ninjamyst

Premium member
the blue wrasse is out and about and pecking at the food so at least that's good. i will get some live black worms from Coral Reef pet Centre tomorrow. I am thinking the prazipro is making the Copperband not eat so I will do a big water change tomorrow too.

ninjamyst

Premium member
Blue wrasse loves the black worms! Copperband still not eating. I moved it from the prazi pro QT tank to the main display tank in an acclimation box. How do I transition the wrasse to go from black worm to frozen now?? It's a pain to keep black worms in the fridge....

Fish_wiz2

Start mixing, throw in a few mysis or whatever you feed with the black worms. Preferably let the mysis hit the water first, then the black worms.

ninjamyst

Premium member
Start mixing, throw in a few mysis or whatever you feed with the black worms. Preferably let the mysis hit the water first, then the black worms.
that's what i did today. fed mysis first but the wrasse just spits it right out. then the black worms she went nuts for. will keep doing this for a week or two.

Blue Line Coral

Premium Sponsor
We also have live brine shrimp at the shop. Usually live helps trigger eating, then can mix in frozen to trick them into trying it.

ninjamyst

Premium member
Now my clownfish refuses to eat frozen mysis and demands live black worms. This is the OPPOSITE of what I want. FML.