Getting new tank soon looking for skimmer under 300.00

I'm looking at skimmers and wow does every company make 20 different models. I know I want a cone skimmer and I am currently looking at the Reef Octopus Diablo 160 XS' it's over my budget of about 60 bucks which isn't too bad I get to do this once and noise and performance matter and it also has to be in sump what would you recommend and why?

The SWC 160 says its for 90 with heavy bio-load so that's not double :( that's what always worries me
Do you plan on having a huge bio-load? Will this be a tank full of SPS or full of fish. Also keep in mind that you can overskim if you get a skimmer too big for your tank and needs.

goat585

Administrator
Skimz skimmers is my recommendation. I have two now and I don't think I would buy anything else. The pumps are efficient, they are easy to adjust and pull a ton of skimmate. They are also easy to clean and the build quality is excellent. By far my favorite skimmers I have ever owned.

Than the SWC 160 should be enough unless Walt thinks you should get the next lower one 120..

No such thing as over skimming :D lol!!
I think the SWC-160 would be fine.

I have the SWC-120 on my setup and it will overskim. I have to feed heavy and almost daily to keep my tank from starving. Mr. Saltwatertanks told me this would happen....but I wanted to go BIG.

DB9181

If overskimming is an issue at the beginning, you could always but the skimmer on a time and running it for 1/2 the day, etc to fit the current bio-load.

reeferlover

did you get this skimmer yet? i have the swc160 on a 75gal with 55gal sump pretty good amount of fish also just added a 40b skimmer is awesome