GFO - how to Run ?????

Rcunning8

Premium member
Ok, I have to comment on this one. I typically don't but since I'm in a lousy mood and reading this didn't help, I just have to give my two cents worth.

You put stuff in there like a media reactor and GFO will bleach your corals and melt your zoas just scares people off and it's down right incorrect. If it happened to you then too bad but a ton of people run their GFO in media reactors w/o ANY ill effects, only positive. I'm one of them! I've been running GFO in a Phosban reactor for years and ALL my corals, regardless if they're acropora, monitpora, zoas, palys, acans, etc., have not been effected poorly in ANY way.

Blanket statements of yours are more harmful than helpful. If it happened to you, then state it that way. I'm sure you can't even be sure it was the GFO that affected your tank. In this hobby, even the PhD's don't know why corals bleach in captivity when parameters all appear to be spot on.
Thought I made it clear that was my experience. Haha sorry didn't mean to offend u over an opinion on gfo lol. The reasons I prefer to use it in a media bag are listed above and are the reasons IN MY EXPERIENCE that if I have to use gfo, that I use it in a media bag and I think they are pretty good reasons other than the tumbling reason being to harsh on the media which may have been the brand I was using, I dunno. I like to keep my tank a little dirtier then most because it is a mixed reef.

The person who started this thread keeps his water super clean and has trouble with bleaching chalices and melting zoas occasionally (in fact he was just texting me about two frags I grew out in my tank and melted in his) and I figured adding gfo in a reactor would not be ideal in his scenario and if he did he should put it in a media bag and place in a baffle for easy removal when stuff starts to look too clean in there.

In my scenario I know for a fact that it's gfo causing these issues. I know that everytime I place gfo in my system that within about 2 weeks I will see a few indicator zoa colonies start to lose their skirts, acans start to not be as puffy and if left in long enough I start to lose colors in a few indicator corals and those indicator zoas they will start to close up, algae will grow on them and they will melt if I don't get the water a little dirtier soon.

Now, since gfo doesn't possess an ionic charge like gac, the use of a media reactor with gfo increases the rate at which phosphates are removed (where apparently this is not the case in GAC where what I have read indicates same rate of removal via bag or reactor). The absorptive capacity of gfo depends on the volume of gfo used and will be the same in either reactor or media bag but the rate at which phosphates are removed are completely different in reactors compared to media bags and I've confirmed this with my Red Sea phosphate test kit. This is why I don't recommend this technique to Krishna specifically because his tank is already IMO too clean and rapid removal of phosphate IMO will not help his cause. This is also the reason I no longer use a gfo reactor in my tank, because I would rather have phosphate removed at a slower rate than a rapid rate so my corals have time to adjust. Also I like keeping my sump area simple, less pumps, less clutter, less tubing, less wires, less power used and most importantly less work than just filling up a media bag and throwing it in a baffle area and leaving it until u get the numbers you want.

Again if you are the kind of guy that likes doing extra work, having your sump area cluttered with reactors, pumps, wires and tubing and your method works for you then by all means go ahead man :) but if u are lazy like me and if you take a second to realize that a media bag does the same exact thing as a reactor with less hassle, less clutter and is actually logically indicated as a seemingly better technique (IN MY EXPERIENCE) because the rate at which phosphate is removed, then maybe your should think about getting on the media bag train man!!

lol I hope you have a better day bro perhaps this will brighten your mood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinman

The person who started this thread keeps his water super clean and has trouble with bleaching chalices and melting zoas occasionally (in fact he was just texting me about two frags I grew out in my tank and melted in his) and I figured adding gfo in a reactor would not be ideal in his scenario and if he did he should put it in a media bag and place in a baffle for easy removal when stuff starts to look too clean in there.
very true .. i was like you :spy: mixed reef ...blue lights.. all is well .. until i realized how nice the acros can actually color up. then i had to do it :) and high light, lower levels of phos and nitrate is the only way to achieve it. yup i did hurt some chalices and zoas in the process which is why i set up a second tank where i keep the levels to their liking. i could have got a pair of orange glasses but well i choose the other way .. its never a possibility to keep everyone in the room happy and thats not my goal ;)

my sps tank phosphates were at 0.4 and nitrates at 25 which is why i resorted to gfo and continous water changes.. only to bring them down .. now they are at phos 0.06 and nitrates at 8 and i stopped using GFO ..

i never used gfo before to maintain a clean tank only chaetho and water changes :) ....running GFO in a media bag will work in my case cause its only temporay .. but incases like TD where they use it through out .. a media reactor is a need ..
Bags - you will never utilize it 100%, after about a week or so it would clump and get more under utilized. if you are running it for a longer duration i would say using less amount in a reactor is way more efficient than using more in a media bag and throwing it away half used.

oh and the zoas that i was texting you about and melted are in the below tank where nitrates and phosphates are adequate and i run only blues on that tank ( minimal whites ) they melted for other reasons maybe :spy:

View attachment 20459

Last edited:

faisal629

100 percent agree with you that it is the amount of gfo that u use that determines how much phosphate is removed. However since gfo needs to come into contact directly with phosphate for phosphate removal (unlike carbon which acts via electric charge attraction) I find that reactors, which use pumps to get the phosphate absorption underway strip away phosphate much more quickly than just a media bag which imo is a bad thing compared to the gradual absorption you get from a media bag. Also when I read instructions, especially when it comes to gfo I always half the quantity/amount of gfo they tell me to use.

Again I like the media bag because it's ease of installation and removal from the sump and it's more gradual absorption of phosphate as opposed to the immediate stripping of phosphate when I used to have it in a reactor.

In regards to my gfo being more delicate than my gac It must be just my experience or my brand? lol I dunno but the granules always appeared smaller when I removed the gfo from the reactor compared to when I put them in

I hate the GHA on some portions of my rock... I was getting concerned with the amount of space a reactor would need since my sump space is fully used up, this is great knowing you and others are having positive outcomes with GFO in media bags! I thought it would be a waste of GFO using it in that way but I'll be giving it a try...

did you notice any issues with the GFO clumping up in the media bag over time?

Rcunning8

Premium member
I hate the GHA on some portions of my rock... I was getting concerned with the amount of space a reactor would need since my sump space is fully used up, this is great knowing you and others are having positive outcomes with GFO in media bags! I thought it would be a waste of GFO using it in that way but I'll be giving it a try...

did you notice any issues with the GFO clumping up in the media bag over time?

No I personally did not notice this but I only use for a couple weeks and then throw out. What tinman said about the media reactor more efficiently using up all the gfo potential I agree with though as I'm sure if I left the gfo in my sump that it would continue to absorb phosphates but def not to the total capacity it would have otherwise in a actual reactor

ultimatemj

Generally speaking, if you are worried about it "working to well", use less.

A bag works, but ultimately waste material...it will clog/clump before being exhausted. If you don't care about the waste, it is an easy way to avoid adding a reactor and getting results.

Decent BRS video...set to the time they talk about it. https://youtu.be/UbLF1zgw8oQ?t=870 The whole video is worth watching...it includes good info about GAC.