Gfo- is there a difference?

Cub21rak

So I've had my 150g up for 3 weeks. I'm having a big time problem with gha. I currently have a dual reactor and I'm using gfo and carbon. I am looking at new gfo and wonder if there's a difference between what brs sells and what premium aquatics sells?

maidia

Team CR
How is the Nitrate level? I believe I read some where (randy holm I think), GFO bring down phosphate and bring down Nitrate a little but not much. If dosing carbon may help with Nitrate level if level is high..
I use GFO and slow down my phosphate from 0.40 to now 0.04 - 0.06 now in a month and half. I change GFO in the reactor one every 3 days in the first 3 weeks then 1 every 2 weeks now. I bought GFO from Ebay, it's cheap no name but it wroked for me.

Cub21rak

I'll test my nitrate tonight. I think it was reading 0. Nitrite was I believe low and phosphate was reading .08. But low readings would be because algae is absorbing it right?

babbyk

Premium member
I use BRS hig capacity. When I started my old 90 I had a GHA outbreak, covered every rock, BRS GFO and some water changes and it was gone in 2 weeks.

maidia

Team CR
I got same issue now with lot HA in the sum..may be I used the old sand and rocks in the sum..In the display tank has no HA...Low PO4 and NO3 may be the HA absorb them.