GFO or Biopellets??

brettz16

So i acquired two TLF 550 reactors thanks to mlreef. I currently have nitrates at 25ppm and phosphates are unknown. I have a API test kit but most of you know how much they suck for Po4. I have algae and cynao on the SB but not horrible.
i was dosing vinegar but stopped due to not seeing any beneficial results.

I want to do carbon in one reator however should i do GFO or Biopellets in the other?

FishBeard

Ill tell you this, if you choose biopellets the tlf550 is a horrible reactor to run them in. It's not designed for pellets.

Smitty

Premium member
I'd stick to gfo...it may take longer to work vs bio pellets, but it'll be safer/fool proof.

MMreef

I would just start with GFO and carbon . Biopellets strip nutrients from water very fast and it might crash your tank if not done properly. I agree with George that TLF is not designed for boipellets. I used the same reactor for few months and had trouble keeping my pellets tumbling. If you go with biopellets, buy biopellet reactor and make sure you start with about half of recommended dosage.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
GFO & Carbon won't reduce your nitrates. I run biopellets and they work great for reducing nitrates and sometimes can keep low levels of phosphates in check. However, if you are planning on having a lot of sticks then I'd pass on the pellets becasue they can be more trouble than they are worth. If you head that direction, then take a look at the Alpha JNS-1 reactor, it's excellent.

ColaAddict

Nitrates of 25 is not too bad. You are better off doing a refugium if possible. I like carbon/gfo over biopellets

brettz16

That's for all your replies. I do have a small refugium with mangroves cheato and DSB
So far it's looking like I'm going to Gfo route then. I just heard it could be a pain with maintenance.

ColaAddict

You should first get a good Po4 test before doing either GFO or biopellets. You might not even need them.

yogoshio

Definitely test for PO4 first, because there's no sense in wasting money on GFO if you don't need it.

And I'll be a little more frank about the bio-pellets. They are a huge PITA and at best a tool for incredibly experienced users and at worst a bad idea. If you want to reduce nitrates then go the natural route first, or use K1 media instead, because biopellets are an incredibly dangerous tool.

brettz16

Definitely test for PO4 first, because there's no sense in wasting money on GFO if you don't need it.

And I'll be a little more frank about the bio-pellets. They are a huge PITA and at best a tool for incredibly experienced users and at worst a bad idea. If you want to reduce nitrates then go the natural route first, or use K1 media instead, because biopellets are an incredibly dangerous tool.
I heard K1 could be dangerous too if too much is added quickly. My main focus right now is to keep this sand bed clean. My nitrates arent horrible for now but i would like to lower them.
im going to take my water to LFS and test Po4. in which case i will purchase GFO accordingly.

Next question. Instead of using 2 pumps for the reactors. What pump do you guys recommend for both. I plan to plumb them together with the GFO going into the carbon.

yogoshio

Yes, K1 when added too quickly can cause issues, but that's the same for any filtration method. Too fast of chemistry changes and you'll have issues. However, K1 doesn't strip the water of trace minerals or nutrients and doesn't rely on ULNS to work properly.

I would get a MJ1200 if you're plumbing them together. That's what BRS uses at least.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Vinegar dosing those lower NO3, but it takes time when going slow and watching the corals for any stress. You could follow the directions given for vodka and keep upping the dosage as shown in charts. Doing WC can assist a lot to lower NO3 when carbon dosing. It took me 2 months to have my NO3 75 to 0 ppm, but it took effort and time. Nothing done fast will have great results IMO. K1, not too familiar with this product but will be scared to try. Not to many threads with this product to read and see results.

Cynao will have to be removed manually and don’t blow it around as it will spread.. Try to suck as much as you can

The TLF550 will be too big for your system and might be better off to trade for small ones like the TLF150. No need to run two pumps as these can be connected together and run off one pump. MJ1200 will be great!! You are more than welcome to come and see mine.. Make sure you start slow when introducing GFO & Carbon.

I’m still waiting for you to swing by when you’re ready. I’m 100% sure that a LFS will tell you’re levels are right as there test are out dated and provide false readings. I remember going to BTR to have my levels tested by paying a $1.00 extra for good test. They said my NO3 was at 0 but couldn’t explain why my SPS were getting brown.. Then I purchased my own Test all within 2 weeks and comes to find out my NO3 was off the chain.. This is my experience when testing with a LFS and my .02 cents…

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..

Good advice.

The reefer

I've used bio pellets with a tlf reactor 150 with great success.
I had it on my 27g cube sps dominant tank. My limit was 100 ml of pellets but I only went to around 75ml.
The thing with biopellets is u have to work ur way up slowly. I started with 25 ml and raised it 25 every month for 3 months.

Yogo is right bio pellets can b dangerous if not done correctly. It can strip out nutrients to fast if u over do it.

kratos1028

I am running gfo into carbon and using MJ900. I think that's more then enough flow going through 2 reactors and I am getting the nice tumbling I wanted. I still have the mj900 dialed down. I would do GFO first and then carbon.