GFO vs phosguard?

Reeflogic

Hey John,

I really can't chime in for the two products you mentioned, because I personally haven't used either... But I am using a Brightwell product Extraxphos and have been using it now for about 3 months and have no phosphate issues. I'm using Red Sea tests and never get above .03 and feed pretty heavy. I use about 2 shot glasses worth every 2 weeks, so it isn't very expensive and from what I have read, much less messy or tedious to deal with than GFO. Just my 2 cents, maybe it will help ;)

yogoshio

If by the same thing, you mean something used to reduce phosphates, then yes. However, GFO is something that actually breaks down in order to work, and if tumbled too strong or too weak can have issues with the tank.

Phosguard is a sponge, more or less, that specifically bonds to phosphates. Once full, it doesn't leach back into the tank, and does not require any tumble and can be run in a bag as long as any water passes through it.

I used Phosguard with perfect results in a canister filter of all things since I didn't want to shill out more for a reactor anyway.

Reeflogic

I run mine in a canister and it looks silly because it only takes up about 2" of the canister, with a decent tumble. This stuff doesnt float, similar to pellets, but slightly smaller. It probably is exactly like phosguard, just being labeled from Brightwell.

yogoshio

If they are white pellets they probably are pretty much the same thing. Brightwell was the guy who broke off from Kent, right?

Either way, it just depends on how you want to use it. GFO must have a reactor, pellets can be in a filter sock even. Just depends on how you want to go.

I always used my Phosguard when it was full as fertilizer. Works awesome. Grass loves phosphates as much as algae, lol.

gmguy496

well i already have the reactor so i was just gunna use it in that i was thinking of switching so i dont have to worry bout dust and messing with the flow rate of the reactor

Reeflogic

I said canister, I meant reactor, but FWIW, these produce a light dust as soon as the water feeds through, but then run super clean, they pretty much let you know when they are exhausted. They kind of start sticking, and you will notice a detritus looking stuff settling in them. I'm not sure if Brightwell is from Kent, I do like several of his products though, especially bio-fuel.

yogoshio

well i already have the reactor so i was just gunna use it in that i was thinking of switching so i dont have to worry bout dust and messing with the flow rate of the reactor
Just because you have a reactor doesn't mean you don't have to worry about flow, but it is always personal preference.