glass cages tanks or marineland deep dimension do you have one? would you buy one?

just as the title states considering buying my custom tank from them or a deep dimension from marineland because that's what the budget allows and i think a standard 180 wont do it for me. any experiences appreciated. I have heard some horror stories on the marineland dd tanks as well just wondering if all that is some internet hocus pocus.. I cant afford for my new basement to take 300 gallons because an aquarium failed.

thanks
Glenn

MMreef

That's not internet hocus pocus, there is many well documented stories about Marineland DD tanks failing, but there is plenty of good tanks too. IMO I would not take chance on 300 gal. from Marineland, Glasscages would be better option if you don't want to spend $$$ for one of the top aquarium builders.

lakereef

I have bought two custom tanks in the last few years. One from Glass Cages which was mostly standard 50g with upgrades and a miracles 210 cube that is highly customized with external overflow. Miracles did have a few small issues with glass chips/scratches, but they were more than willing to do what was needed to make it right. With them you know they will stand behind their product regardless, but you may pay a bit more particularly with shipping from Canada. I had zero issues with the glass cages tank and although smaller, the build quality seemed very good and contrary to the rumors I had heard.

Last edited:

fftfk

I used coast to coast with a number of custom features and the tank is built like...a tank. It is very solid. That being said, I felt for the coast of the tank I feel like it should have come with a acrylic overflow cover and that they screwed up a custom feature. I have a dry box on the back of the tank for two vortech and wanted a hole through the glass for the vortech power cord. They made the hole the exact size of the cord (maybe +1/8) so that the cords connector does not fit through. The result is that I still have a power cord coming up and out of my tank which is frustrating.

I have bought two custom tanks in the last few years. One from Glass Cages which was mostly standard 50g with upgrades and a miracles 210 cube that is highly customized with external overflow. Miracles did have a few small issues with glass chips/scratches, but they were more than willing to do what was needed to make it right. With them you know they will stand behind their product regardless, but you may pay a bit more particularly with shipping from Canada. I had zero issues with the miracles tank and although smaller, the build quality seemed very good and contrary to the rumors I had heard.
im slightly confused after reading this...
the glass cages had nicks and scratches? or the miracles? re read the post its contradicting

thanks for trying to help
Glenn

latinreefer

I read your post yesterday about DD horror stories which I wasn't aware of. It seems to be a problem with 200+ DD tanks, so happy I have a 150 Cube DD and after 5 years not a problem. I will be moving next summer so it will be coming down for that reason only. My experience has been great with my tank and a friend who is not on this forum has a 300 DD and he has been fine as well with no complaints. I think there are a lot more horror stories about glass cages but a friend on this forum has had his for 5+ years and has never had a single problem. It could be user error as well with both companies, reefers not properly leveling their tanks might a have problem before someone who does level their tank properly. Think about the stress of 200+ gallons of water on glass thats not leveled, I would assume those seams would be overstressed. I would do a marineland DD again and I will after my move next year, I will be doing a 200DD. JMO GL

lakereef

im slightly confused after reading this...
the glass cages had nicks and scratches? or the miracles? re read the post its contradicting

thanks for trying to help
Glenn
Sorry to confuse you. Bottom line I would order from either company again. I don't have experience with marineland but in my experience you usually get what you pay for.

The trouble with Glass Cages isn't so much the tank is it is who answers the phone when you call there. He was definately on the rude side, and makes you feel like you are wasting his time. Both of my tanks that were built by them were perfect. Being able to meet in Monee to pick up the tank is a nice perk over expensive shipping.

That said, my last tank is from SC Aquariums, which has incredible pricing, great customer service and free shipping. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with either company again.

Rcunning8

Premium member
My next tank is going to be an sca tank and was going to suggest that as another option but clearly u are aware of them already, just my two cents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrasse

What do you want in the tank?
What do you need in a tank?

After you know the answer to those two questions then you can better choose from different companies. I've heard stories about deep dimensions tanks as well. One of them was when their tank failed and you followed their warranty that they not only replaced the tank but also the loss of livestock and property damage.
I don't think the tanks fail a lot I think that they just sell a lot more tanks than any of the other companies combined. Maybe one in 1000 or one in 10,000 fail. You just hear about it because there's so many of them out there and or because people know that increases the chance of marineland covering their warranty.
I wouldn't worry about your warranty get the tank that's gonna make you happy. Get quotes from companies miracles may be expensive but they'll ship right to your door. Glass cages may be less expensive but you have to go out and pick up the tank somewhere. Coast-to-coast aquariums is good as well.
If it's custom you can choose your dimensions length width and height.
If marineland has the dimensions you want; then you can get a more affordable tank, and get one from a local aquarium store more easily.

Last edited:
What do you want in the tank?
What do you need in a tank?

After you know the answer to those two questions then you can better choose from different companies. I've heard stories about deep dimensions tanks as well. One of them was when their tank failed and you followed their warranty that they not only replaced the tank but also the loss of livestock and property damage.
I don't think the tanks fail a lot I think that they just sell a lot more tanks than any of the other companies combined. Maybe one in 1000 or one in 10,000 fail. You just hear about it because there's so many of them out there and or because people know that increases the chance of marineland covering their warranty.
I wouldn't worry about your warranty get the tank that's gonna make you happy. Get quotes from companies miracles may be expensive but they'll ship right to your door. Glass cages may be less expensive but you have to go out and pick up the tank somewhere. Coast-to-coast aquariums is good as well.
If it's custom you can choose your dimensions length width and height.
If marineland has the dimensions you want; then you can get a more affordable tank, and get one from a local aquarium store more easily.
Im not quite sure what i want in the tank.. I just know i want a big reef so that I can house tangs and other bigger reef fishes for many years. I love the depth of the 300 deep dimension.. i'm in love with it actually...

I dont want to spend miracles money and glass cages can ship direct to my business for 300$ I already had them quote it...

my other concern is the weight of a custom built tank being a few hundred pounds heavier than the marineland stuff which will make getting it to its resting place complicated. i'm so indecisive its awful.. I just want something to last 10 years and satisfy me...

ultimatemj

I'm guessing Acrylic Glass Exhibits is expensive compared to what you are looking for, but they are "precision" builders and offer hybrid starfire/acrylic tanks! Thinking that last part could really help getting a big tank down your stair well :)

Ordered the 300dd. You only live once. And I'm not going to let a few bad tanks crush my dreams. I'll take the chance on a 5% or less occurrence. If marineland was spending more money paying warranty claims they wouldn't sell the tanks.

Jump on in and watch Cody and I build the beast. Can't wait