Glass for sump cost

caragol

I've got a clean 120 that I'm dividing and using for a sump, but the quotes for glass I've received seem sky high (cheaper to buy new tanks and cut apart). Any idea where to get cheap glass or know what I should be paying reasonably per 17.5 x 17.5 pane?

Fish_wiz2

Where have you gotten quotes? My local True Value hardware store has cut glass for me for years. I believe 3/16" thick last time at about 17 something by 13 inch for a 75 gallon sump, 4 pieces for like $40. I just had the sand the edges when I got home.

caragol

Specialty glass stores mostly... Which I imagine is the issue, but I wasn't sure who else to contact. I'll check in on true value!

Fish_wiz2

That may be your issue. You don't need special glass or have the edges polished which will cost you a lot. My true value is just normal plate glass.

goatous

I found a glass/window repair shop to be cheaper than Ace and he sanded the edges. Google to find one close and ask for pricing on 3/16 or 1/4" glass.

superfish

When I need glass, I just buy a suitable size tank @ dollar per gal. And tear it down.
That's probably the cheapest way.

Fish_wiz2

When I need glass, I just buy a suitable size tank @ dollar per gal. And tear it down.
That's probably the cheapest way.
Interesting approach! Personally not worth for me, the money saved I waste back in labor. Not only do you need to take the tank apart, you need to clean silicone, and recut the glass, then sand. Plus I would need to buy tanks 40B and up to get thicker glass.

caragol

The Ace/True Value stores I went to/called didn't have thick enough glass, only 1/8". Found a local glass shop, they didn't have 3/16", only 1/4". I asked them not to sand the edges to save a few dollars per pane, sharp as crap and pretty expensive, but it's done. Wasn't excited to pay so much for glass, but in the end I just wanted to move forward.

beetlenut33

Premium member
I attempted to cut some glass last night. It was a complete fail. I broke 4 pieces of glass and only made 2 or 3 decent cuts. Keeping a handheld glass cutter straight is the tricky part.

I am going to have to call up a few different hardware stores to price out some glass cuts.

Last edited: