Gobies & Blennies - to stock or not?

jfmkem82

Hi all,

I am in the early stages of setting up a new 25 gal lagoon tank. I have cleaned the rock and have the live sand ready to go. Next step is to add a mixture of new saltwater and some water from my 2 yr old 75 gal reef tank. I'll also transfer a few of my established rocks into the new tank. The lagoon tank will also have a screen top to prevent jumpers.

Eventually the plan is for a goby / blenny specific tank. My 75 gal reef has 2 clowns, a green anthias, a royal gramma, a yellow tailed damsel, 6 line wrasse, and 2 watchman gobies. Based on this stocking level, and the fact that I plan on putting in a significant amount of rock to create plenty of hiding spots, I'm thinking of stocking the 25 gal lagoon with 4 - 5 gobies and/or blennies.

I'd be interested in hearing the community's thoughts on types of gobies and/or blennies I should be considering.

Thanks
Javier

Volcano1

I like my gold midas as well. alot of personality. He loves barnacles to host in. Haven't kept many others, so no help there.

jfmkem82

I've seen the Midas blennies at ReefWise. Good looking fish. Thanks for the responses thus far.

Anyone have experience with stocking several different species of blennies / gobies in same tank?

jp_75

if i ever have that small tank i will put few barnacle blennies and pink streak wrasse.maybe i would add neon goby or pair of yasha.

Mjl714

I’ve got a Starry Blenny, as mentioned above, our guy has a great personality. Reminds us of a dog, comes right up to the surface, begs for food, and nibbles on algae. On the other hand, I also have a Blue Spotted Watchmen Goby (in another tank), he’s alright, but not nearly the personality, and he likes to move stuff around.

Last edited:

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Definitely pair one up with a tiger pistol shrimp (like the watchman or yashi). So fun to watch. Would be good to have a pvc structure or rises to hold up the rock work. Gives them space to tunnel without distrumpting the rock work.

As far as together, I have had gobies and blennies but have made sure to get species specific to an area of the tank (perching in rockwork vs burrowing). Some blennies and gobies do well in groups though.. not most unfortunately

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jfmkem82

definitely pair one up with a tiger pistol shrimp (like the watchman or yashi). So fun to watch. Would be good to have a pvc structure or rises to hold up the rock work. Gives them space to tunnel without distrumpting the rock work.

As far as together, i have had gobies and blennies but have made sure to get species specific to an area of the tank (perching in rockwork vs burrowing). Some blennies and gobies do well in groups though.. Not most unfortunately

sent from my samsung-sm-g930a using tapatalk
thank you !

anarchy

In a tank this size if you're looking to do multiple of the same species then the bigger blennies are out. Bigger species blennies are more likely to become hostile towards each other. I have a similar stocking plan for my 30 and with the research I've done here's a handful of options I've found that will work together.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jfmkem82

In a tank this size if you're looking to do multiple of the same species then the bigger blennies are out. Bigger species blennies are more likely to become hostile towards each other. I have a similar stocking plan for my 30 and with the research I've done here's a handful of options I've found that will work together.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thank you very much for all these suggestions.