Going bigger!! 125 or 180? reef ready vs drilling myself and equip suggestions

Hey guys im trying to upgrade from my 93 gallon cube setup that can be seen here http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?15563-93-gallon-rimless-cube-build I want to build another custom stand ect... ( this setup is going to be for sale after new one is built) I'm debating between a 125 and a 180 gallon glass aquarium but am un decided upon if i would rather drill it myself or get reef ready... I HAVE A BRAND NEW !*) ALLGLASS THANK SITTING ON MY PALLET RACK AT WORK BUT ITS UN DRILLED AND NOT REEF READY :apologetic: how hard will it be to drill it and install internal overflows like the glass holes ect.... the new tanks are not anymore than 600$ so it might not even be worth my time drilling and spending time on custom cut glass ect.. if i go 125 it will cost me even less... but letting this tank just sit on the shelf is also pointless.... Any input and advice is appreciated. I have also never done glass work and would always love help if any of you are willing :) I have drilled glass but never glued or siliconed ect....

secondly what do I do about the sump? what is the recommended size I have a 40 breeder available or a 55 or some other glass tanks at my disposal from freshwater breeding days.. but yet again I haven't ever played around with siliconing ect and don't exactly know how to set it up... does anyone have any good diy articles to share? or is anyone willing to help me do it if I get the glass cut? i can also just order a custom acrylic job from nano sea or buy a eshopss 200 I guess or would you guys save the $ and build one? also what is the reccomended return pump size on a tank like this im assuming over 900 gph closer to 1200???

thanks for any advice... I hear bigger is always better as far as tanks and sumps go but I only have a 75 gallon per day ro setup and I don't want to make 40 trips up and down stairs with buckets to do water changes that's why i'm thinking the 125 may be a better option.. but the space of the 180 will be incredible.. either way I go though i'm still getting more surface area for fish and corals which is the only reason i'm selling the 93 in the first place.. please give me suggestions and comments!!

thanks
Glenn

Top Water

A 180 with built in overflow to me is the ideal tank. Drilling a tank ect.. Isn't my idea of enjoying the hobby and doesn't have the the clean factory look . I also like the piece of mind a factory tank gives. A 40 breeder makes a great sump!

adam87

I have the 180 with built in overflow and i'm with happy with it. But get the one with the corner over flows.

A 180 with built in overflow to me is the ideal tank. Drilling a tank ect.. Isn't my idea of enjoying the hobby and doesn't have the the clean factory look . I also like the piece of mind a factory tank gives. A 40 breeder makes a great sump!
how easy is it to make the 40 breeder a sump? i like tinkering and I am pretty skilled

jrpark22000

Premium member
If your arms are long enough to reach the bottom of a 180 without wet pits, I'd go with the deeper tank.

the wet pits dont bother me since the cube isnt the most fun to get into right now lol the only thing i dont know is if i could reach the back easily without a stool

im honestly more concerned with doing water changes and carrying shit tons of water around than anything... but 125 isnt much more volume than my 93 cube although the space is wayyyy more usable i feel

Last edited:
also forgot to state that this is on the second floor... wonder if it will be able to support the weight.. im right next to a load bearing wall and its running across several joists

Sawdonkey

Premium member
If your arms are long enough to reach the bottom of a 180 without wet pits, I'd go with the deeper tank.
Ha! I just cut the sleeves off my new CR tshirt for this reason. Between having to stand on a ladder, reaching down to my armpits, and trying to avoid getting bitten by my triggerfish, it's quite the challenge to do stuff in a deep tank, especially when it's pretty high off the ground. Totally worth it though!

lunacris

i vote to drill and make overflow yourself . its not hard and isnt as ugly as factory overflow imo (ive had both). id only do bean animal silent and takes a bunch to fail . as far as size i love my 210 depth for the fishez is awesome but lighting can be tough . good luck it will be fun !! btw is a custom tank out of the question ?

jfuka78

I agree drill it and make a slim c2c bulk head and glass cost around 70 and you can use my bit if you like for 1.5 pipe. Check out my build and you can see what I am talking about works great

Tonyssrx

Premium member
i vote to drill and make overflow yourself . its not hard and isnt as ugly as factory overflow imo (ive had both). id only do bean animal silent and takes a bunch to fail . as far as size i love my 210 depth for the fishez is awesome but lighting can be tough . good luck it will be fun !! btw is a custom tank out of the question ?
+ 1 I'm not a big fan of factory overflows either

anarchy

Theres always a risk with drilling. Take a small chance of cracking the glass. Just my opinion. Ill be drilling soon though. On the other hand the bonus to drilling is you can place overflows where ever you want you can add as many emergency overflows. Completely custom. Always going to have + & - for everything, but as far as size goes 180 with 55 sump

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

SniperZ

I went from a 125 to a 180 and let me tell you. The 180 is so much nicer. Just the dimensions are better for a reef. The 125 is just not deep enough to aquascape. I will be selling my 180 when I move. drilled with custom overflow, it's currently an in wall set up.

I bought the 180 reef ready couldn't pass up the deal... Build thread coming soon.. Also bought without the plumbing kit so I can do the Herbie overflow setup and I will drill the returns.... I'm not to savvy with gluing glass to make the overflow chambers and I would need to move 4 cars double stacked on lifts to get the forklift in to remove the tank. Screw it! It would take three hours to move everything around and I'd still be spending $ making the overflow boxes and risk jacking it up. I'm just worried about evap since my ro is downstairs... I'm loosing a few gallons a day on my 93 cube now I bet this will loose 3-4 easily... Butttttttttt The carpenter who built my house also reassured me it won't go through the floor that made my decision easy lol.

IM PRETTY EXCITED TO GET STARTED!! what skimmers and return pumps should i be looking at ? any suggestions big tank guys?

budget is not really limited but I don't like paying more for something when i can get the same quality for less.. but I don't exactly know what makes one skimmer better than another time to do some searching

Last edited:

SkullV

What is your skimmer budget? For return pumps, I have heard nothing but good things about the Jebao DC return pumps, the price is so good that you can buy two for the price of one of the higher end pumps and have a back up.

What is your skimmer budget? For return pumps, I have heard nothing but good things about the Jebao DC return pumps, the price is so good that you can buy two for the price of one of the higher end pumps and have a back up.
don't really have a budget but there's no sense in paying more for a product when i can get something that works just as good for less $ I will be growing sps and lps corals so it needs to be a nice unit I have a nwb 150 on my 93 now and that's very entry level I feel id like something a bit better.

SkullV

At that size you are starting to get to the limit of what the SCA skimmers will do (on a heavily stocked tank). I'm a huge fan of the new Aquamaxx skimmers. Give them a look.