Going black out

jcarlilesiu

In the last few weeks, we have had a little flare up of cyano in our tank. Not sure why. I suppose with the holidays we might have missed a couple of water changes.

Anyway, last night, Tammy did a really good job of siphoning out as much as she could. We made the decision to do a 72 hour blackout.

To be honest, I am worried most about our purple tri-color acro. Anybody have any experience with blackouts and SPS?

Scarlett778

What's funny is that the Cyano happened after I installed a Phosphate Reactor. I added GFO and BRS Rox Carbon into the reactor. A couple days later, hello Cyano! Should I have waited on the carbon?

Scarlett778

Well the salt is Reef Crystals and we haven't changed it in ages.

Never had any issue with Cyano until after the Phosphate reactor....well also maybe this might help....I also started dosing a two Part and Mag from BRS. I can't seem to test what the nitrates and phosphates are as they are both zero and I don't know if it's the cyano intaking that or if it's being sucked out from the phosphate reactor.

Anyways, I'm going off topic....has anyone done a 72 hour blackout?

SkullV

Well the salt is Reef Crystals and we haven't changed it in ages.

Never had any issue with Cyano until after the Phosphate reactor....well also maybe this might help....I also started dosing a two Part and Mag from BRS. I can't seem to test what the nitrates and phosphates are as they are both zero and I don't know if it's the cyano intaking that or if it's being sucked out from the phosphate reactor.

Anyways, I'm going off topic....has anyone done a 72 hour blackout?
Reef Crystals has been known to cause cyno in some batches. 72 hour blackout will not hurt anything. You do not want to go more than 96 hours. Again, black out is only a band aid though. If you don't fix the phosphate issue it will come back.

jcarlilesiu

Reef Crystals has been known to cause cyno in some batches. 72 hour blackout will not hurt anything. You do not want to go more than 96 hours. Again, black out is only a band aid though. If you don't fix the phosphate issue it will come back.
That was the last bag of salt out of that box.

We have been wondering about the culprit.

Reefcrystals is known to have phosphate issues in some batches? That isn't good.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
It shouldnt be an issue, but you might need re-acclimate the corals again.. Also run GFO and get as much out. Also try to diagnose any changes made to the tank.

New frags, old lights, low flow, DSB went bad, PH to low.. This is what I have read on RC that might have caused an issue

Not sure but worth a try :D

Good luck!!!

Scarlett778

Well what I've read so far, is that you don't really have to if you have a good skimmer. I guess it will be skimming quite heavily for the next three days.

We were planning on doing a water change anyways because it is our normal schedule to do so. But now with the fear of placing more phosphates via from the salt, we'll have to purchase some new salt brand.

So we'll be playing it by ear, and make sure to test the param's everyday.

Scarlett778

Ok we turned the lights on a couple hours earlier than 72, nitrates are at 10 and phosphates are at 0. There was no browning in our sps or I'll effects on our clams or any corals.....phew, no cyano for tonight. Tomorrow will be water change!

BlakeT

Looking good guys!

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of Reef Crystals. In addition to mixing up with detectable phosphates and nitrates, it's rather inconsistent in terms of Ca and alk. I also found that I had a brown residue left behind sometimes after mixing.

I'm a fan of Tropic Marin as well as Seachem Reef salt.