Golden Dwarf Moray Eel compatability and experiences

Activeangel

Greetings everyone, Sharkey here!

I'm new to this site, and thought we should open up a post designated to warn of possible casualties when choosing to add, one of my favorites, the Hawaiian Golden Dwarf Moray Eel or other similar dwarf morays. Specifically, I'd love to hear about some experience from those who have at least 6 months experience with the same eel; an eel which had time to establish itself in a tank and live in harmony with its neighbors.

These are desirable for their small size and unlikeliness to mess with many reef fish, and acknowledging that every creature has a unique personality; What are some tankmates that either attacked or were attacked by your Golden Dwarf Morays? What tankmates, in these cases, were not bothered by the eel (and what was these eels' diet)?

While I have no experience with this species, I have heard they have eaten shrimp, crabs, fish such as Pearly Jawfish, as well as devouring up to 5" clams leaving only the empty shell overnight

~Sharkey

Volcano1

I had one for around a year. It happened to make its way into my sump 100 gallon sump, which is full of love rock. It was there for another month , tore sump down never found it.
It didn't bother any of my tank mates, but I had no shrimp. Nothing seemed to. Other it, thought it had a designated burrow it didn't stray far from. It feed it Rods predator mix. Figured it would get a variety that way. It seemed to like everything in the mix as long as pieces were t too large. I had to use a feeding prong for it to eat well. It's tank mates would get the food other wise. They also seem to not have the best vision and rely on smell more.
I had a decent mix of fish with mine tangs, rabbit fish, clowns, wrasses, no one seemed to bother it and I never noticed any fish missing. I don't remember if I had clams in with it at the time or not. It's been a couple years.
They were neat to have, but rarely came out. Feeding. Of be a problem if your fish get to the food first.
I had gutter guard on my overflows and it managed to still get through.
I have heard they are escape artists. HTH's

Spartanman22

I had mine for about 8 months or so before he decided to go carpet surfing. Super disappointing. My tank had a lid so I'm still unsure how he managed to get out.

They are super personable and in my experience great reef inhabitants. I had multiple small fish in my 25 gallon cube: chronic, very small yellow coris wrasse (1"), very small black leopard (1"), long spine cardinals, chalk bass, clowns, shrimps, hermits, emeralds. Never bothered any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unk

I had a pair and one died because he would not eat but the otherone is still alive and kicking. He does not bother any of my fish. I had some peppermint shrimp disappear but i cannot say it was because of him. Luckily I never had one jump and I do not keep a lid on my tank.

I have two of them in my 75, have 3 clowns, 3 anthias, 3 green chromis's, coral beauty, yellow tang, and a hawk fish. Tons of snails and crabs. They have been awesome in my tank, they do not make a mess, they keep to themselves for the most part. they occasionally knock over some euphyllia but that is it. Plus I love feeding them!

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Had one and it only came out about one or twice a week when it was hungry. Otherwise it stayed in the rocks and I never saw it, so I got rid of it. Didn't mess with any coral or fish but I heard the same warnings mentioned in the 1st post.

Mjl714

Had one and it only came out about one or twice a week when it was hungry. Otherwise it stayed in the rocks and I never saw it, so I got rid of it. Didn't mess with any coral or fish but I heard the same warnings mentioned in the 1st post.
I've also found eel's very noctural, and most likely to be out when the lights are off.

mikenh77

I've had one for half a year. I agree with the above posts. They don't seem to really bother anything but are escape artist. Mine comes out during the day and is very social. I have a tight fitting lid and plenty of rock in my 125 gallon mixed reef and it hasn't wandered out... yet.